The Order Has Been Placed

mullyman

Well, my 50th birthday was last week and my wife gave me a thousand dollars towards a Warmoth of my choice. I pulled there trigger this morning and the wheels are now in motion.

Body
Telecaster solid
Alder
Inca Silver
Double white binding
Tortoise pickguard
Gotoh chrome bridge
Chrome control plate
Chrome flat top knobs
Black Tele switch knob
Seymour Duncan Quarter Pound front and bridge set

The body will be routed for 3 pickups, but, for now, only showing the 2. I figured it never hurts to have the option of the middle pickup and not use it than to want to try a center pup and not have the route. Since it doesn't cost anything, had to get it.

The neck, oh my, it was go big or go home. I wanted to custom order the neck too, but, I don't trust custom order. I would much prefer to see exactly what I'm getting than to order something and hope it turns out how I like it. God forbid you spend 4-5-6 hundred bucks on something and it shows up and you don't like it. Nah, I'd rather see it first. Anyway, I'm not a fan of the Tele head, and I think a Strat head looks odd on a Tele, so, I thought the Warhead would be a nice in between. Thanks to Stratamania and Cagey for sharing their photos with me last week. Anywho, I went into the showcase, went to Warhead, set the filter to "Price", and, not intentionally, got the highest one in there. Roasted flame maple. A killer looking neck. There was a light colored flame neck in there with black MOP inlays. I tried to order that and was told that they can't ship MOP out of the USA. Bummer!! So, I went with the roasted. I had my eye on that roasted one but was afraid to go after something so expensive. But, this is my 50th birthday guitar, it has to be the ta-tas. No straight grain on this thing. Anyway, see photos below for the neck. If this thing plays and sounds as good as it's gonna look, I'm gonna have a monster on my hands. Oops, d'uh! This neck will get 6105 stainless frets, Schaller locking tuners and no finish. Should feel like "buttah".....oh, and a plain old white nut.
Anyway, now I just have to wait....and what a long wait this will be.
MULLY

Way to go, Mully!  Great choice on the neck.

On the Quarter Pound pups, especially the bridge unit, I highly recommend the one with the tap.  I found it very useful on my Bete Noire telecaster to switch between full-tilt-boogie and a more restrained (for a tele) vintage output.

Have fun, dude!

Bagman67 said:
Way to go, Mully!  Great choice on the neck.

On the Quarter Pound pups, especially the bridge unit, I highly recommend the one with the tap.  I found it very useful on my Bete Noire telecaster to switch between full-tilt-boogie and a more restrained (for a tele) vintage output.

Have fun, dude!

Thanks for the info on that, I'll keep it in mind.
MULLY

While we're on the subject,  I also ran mine with a four-way switch, like so:

1 - Bridge only
2 - Bridge and neck parallel
3 - Bridge and neck series
4 - Neck only

So between the three positions with the bridge pickup and the coil tap, I would up with seven very usable tones.  The bridge pup in full-strength mode in the bridge/neck series configuration was a real paint-peeler.

That's a really sharp neck! That, against a double-bound inca silver Tele is going to look fantastic!

Incidentally, Photobucket doesn't allow "hot links" any more unless you pay a $400/yr fee to them. If you don't, then when you post something, all that shows up is a ransom note. There are workarounds for it on the viewer side for Firefox, Chrome, Opera and some others (search "photobucket embed fix [insert browser name here]"), but not all users are going to know that or in some cases, have the technical savvy to install it. Plus, I wouldn't be surprised to find Photobucket will fix their site in the future so those hacks don't work.

So, if you want your pics to show up reliably, you might want to consider some other hosting service, or perhaps even leasing some commercial space of your own (it's very inexpensive these days). I've had good luck with Imgur, but there are others.

Kevin, thanks for posting that Firefox/Photobucket link, I thought the problem was Photobucket blocking the server calls from free accounts. Always something to learn here.....

Now that I can see the pix, that's a really splendifferous looking neck there Mully, can't wait to see he final outcome!  :icon_thumright:

Photobucket has pissed a lotta people off. Vast numbers of blogs, forums, websites, etc. have been effectively stripped of their graphics. If they'd not been so greedy, they probably would have gotten a lotta takeup on the new subscription model. I'm sure everybody understands that administration, server space and bandwidth isn't free. But, to go from free to $400/yr is just ridiculous. It's almost like they want to go out of business.

Up until just recently, they tried to make money via ads on their website. But, you only get an occasional click-through on those things, and people only visited the site when they were posting pictures. I'd wager 99.999% of their traffic was actually outgoing, rather than incoming, so few people saw the ads and even fewer clicked on them. Supposedly, they've got literally billions of pics stashed that they're sourcing 24/7. The cost of hosting vs. ad revenue must have been wildly lop-sided, so I'm not unsympathetic to their plight. Still. $400/yr? Really? You can lease a helluva lotta server space for that kind of money, and tell Photobucket to go scratch glass and turn blue.

Cagey said:
.....tell Photobucket to go scratch glass and turn blue.
Exactly what I did some time ago, went with Imgur. But not because of hosting costs, because of the humongous number of third party scripts they wanted to load every time you accessed the site. And the list of scripts changed all the time, so even if you blocked them individually, next time you went there they had a new batch of carp to wade through. I block all scripting by default, and just allow what's needed for functionality. Photobucket was just too bloated and it was too much of a hassle dealing with their scripting. I don't mind a few ads on a "Free" site, but no one needs 50 scripts running to do it!  :-\

BigSteve22 said:
Cagey said:
.....tell Photobucket to go scratch glass and turn blue.
Exactly what I did some time ago, went with Imgur. But not because of hosting costs, because of the humongous number of third party scripts they wanted to load every time you accessed the site. And the list of scripts changed all the time, so even if you blocked them individually, next time you went there they had a new batch of carp to wade through. I block all scripting by default, and just allow what's needed for functionality. Photobucket was just too bloated and it was too much of a hassle dealing with their scripting. I don't mind a few ads on a "Free" site, but no one need 50 scripts running to do it!  :-\
Exactly why I went to Imgur, too. I don't really need hosting except for forums that don't upload images. I just found out that although I can upload them here from my computer, it's more convenient to put the images in from Imgur.

Cagey said:
Incidentally, Photobucket doesn't allow "hot links" any more unless you pay a $400/yr fee to them. If you don't, then when you post something, all that shows up is a ransom note. There are workarounds for it on the viewer side for Firefox, Chrome, Opera and some others (search "photobucket embed fix [insert browser name here]"), but not all users are going to know that or in some cases, have the technical savvy to install it. Plus, I wouldn't be surprised to find Photobucket will fix their site in the future so those hacks don't work.

So, if you want your pics to show up reliably, you might want to consider some other hosting service, or perhaps even leasing some commercial space of your own (it's very inexpensive these days). I've had good luck with Imgur, but there are others.

Thanks, switched over to imageBB and it appears to be working now. Fingers crossed!!
MULLY

Cagey said:
That's a really sharp neck! That, against a double-bound inca silver Tele is going to look fantastic!

I really hope so. I originally wanted a really white maple neck with MOP inlays. Turns out they can't ship MOP out of the USA so, I went with this....not that I didn't look at this and drool before making the final decision.
MULLY

A box of goodies arrived today. A little early, but, that's ok. Christmas in February!! By the way, that's a Gotoh bridge.
MULLY

Back