The Mooncaster has landed....

Looks like a carves top to me... :dontknow:
Mp270A.jpg

I agree on that angle, but then you look at the side/diagonal photo and it looks totally flat. It's not being shown off well in the photos, is the point.

Well, the builder is up and I have to say I'm a bit disappointed. No option for a regular, non-contoured heel makes it a no-go for me. Would have liked to have the option of a middle pickup, too.

At least now I no longer regret going for the Jazzmaster build instead.

The Mooncaster is carved-top.

The pickup and bridge options in the Builder are limited for now. If it is popular enough that may change.

Personally, I would love to slap some TV Jones and a Bigsby on there....

I'm with you on the TV Jones - though don't they make an adapter mounting ring that lets you mount some of their models in a humbucker rout?

Any plans to make this available as a flat top as well as carved? I really like the shape, but just like the VIP they are too expensive for me to seriously consider buying.

double A said:

The pickup and bridge options in the Builder are limited for now. If it is popular enough that may change.

Solid body! Clap clap clap clap clap clap! Solid body! Clap clap clap clap clap!

Close! Sooo close. I'm just waiting for a standard Strat hardtail option for a bridge and I'm there. Any word on when that might be coming? Or is that one of those options that you have to call for until the builder is updated again?

Either way, I think it looks great. I've already started prepping the Finance Department for the next build!

double A said:

That makes no sense.  So there are options that can be done on the Mooncaster, but they're not being represented by the online builder, because you all haven't received enough orders to copy and paste the website code in?  Seriously?

It definitely makes much more sense to have every prospective Mooncaster purchaser call and ask if they can have a H-S-H, S-S-H, or H-X-X pick-up configuration rather than take the extra 60 seconds to make the online builder completely functional.

Does the Mooncaster have a 24 fret reposition available?  If not, why not?  For those of us who prefer a 24 fret guitar, I'd definitely like to see where the pickups will be relative to the lower horn.  However, that's not obviously not an option right now.  If you can do a vibrato bridge on there, why would you represent it as if you can't?  The Mooncaster has a tummy contour cut, even if you can't get the body without that contour, why isn't it listed in the contours like the must-have contoured heel?

Sorry, but that's just plain laziness and cutting corners.  It doesn't exactly boast well for a company that's supposed to be known for detail and quality.  I honestly don't know how the webmaster for the warmoth.com website has a paying job with Warmoth still.

There are janglytronish humbucker options -  GFS Nashville/Liverpool/Dream180 comes to mind. And I'm sure Ken is open to winding darn near anything that fits on bobbins he already has and magnets he can easily get.

Eek. No flatmount bridges? At all? Bah humbuck. I mean humbug.

I didn't see a Wide Range Humbucker option. I think the guitar is very cool but the missing flat-mount bridge option and lack WRHB routing are concerns to me.

Give them time. Warmoth always seems to come through with really good stuff.

Telenator said:

My concern is the carved top - it's been a flatmount killer on other models.

Telenator said:
I didn't see a Wide Range Humbucker option. I think the guitar is very cool but the missing flat-mount bridge option and lack WRHB routing are concerns to me.

I'm not a WRHB fan but leaving out the original pickup selection is not so great.

But then again, Fender's Starcaster re-issue only mimics the originals too.  They ain't WRHB, either by dimensions (the newer ones look closer to a humbucker size than WRHB) & the re-issues are basically humbucker-sounding instead of that 'unique' WRHB tone.

I guess if you are prepared to go thru Warmoth to achieve this style, you would be prepared to mod a few things away from the original model's specs. Is there no way you could get a Carved Top shim to place under a flat top bridge? The original model's bridge was a monster & the TOM /tailpiece kinda looks odd on the offset shaped body.

Actually, the Wide Range humbucker reissues—even those found on the MIC model currently being produced—are the same size as orginal Wide Range humbuckers. I've swapped out plenty of sets with more original-accurate copies and handled more than my fair share of original 70s Wide Range pickups, and they're direct swaps.

Also, I would argue that the current reissues, while not the same as the original pickup design internally, are still very good as far as stock humbuckers go. I think too many people get too caught up in what is or isn't exactly like the first version of something. The main problem the current Wide Range pickups have is Fender, for some bizarre reason, constantly pairs them with a full compliment of 250k pots. Whack them up to 500k or 1megs and you'll find they very nicely bridge a gap between the clearer-but-weak Wide Range design and the powerful-but-generic standard humbucker design. They're also the only stock humbuckers used by a larger company that have alnico 4 magnets, I believe. Some people pay hundreds for a humbucker with A4s and mismatched coils...

Anyway, yeah. The 'new' Wide Ranges are exactly the same size as the first versions. Fender (and other companies) do of course make some other pickups which are the size of regular humbuckers with the Wide Range-style split pole covers, but those are clearly marked as such and not marketed as Wide Range replacements.

Ace Flibble said:
Actually, the Wide Range humbucker reissues—even those found on the MIC model currently being produced—are the same size as orginal Wide Range humbuckers. I've swapped out plenty of sets with more original-accurate copies and handled more than my fair share of original 70s Wide Range pickups, and they're direct swaps.

Anyway, yeah. The 'new' Wide Ranges are exactly the same size as the first versions. Fender (and other companies) do of course make some other pickups which are the size of regular humbuckers with the Wide Range-style split pole covers, but those are clearly marked as such and not marketed as Wide Range replacements.

OK, I'll take your word for that.

On the issue of the bridge, I've looked at the Evertune site.

They do have a G series of bridge assemblies, that seem to accommodate a carved top guitar. If the Warmoth Mooncaster body is solid at the points they require it for the Evertune bridge, Warmoth might - in the future - place an Evertune option for bridge routing and sell the appropriate bridge?

These Evertune bridges have a bulky look to them and may satisfy those wanting that look on their Mooncaster?

is it use laminated wood on archtop  as gibson 335 ?

or is it a carved " real wood" ?

I haven't had time to read all the threads on the forum in a long time, but I guess I'll just offer up my opinion on the Mooncaster headstock as well.  I'll just say I was hungry until I saw it.  Now, I'm not feeling so hot...  :icon_scratch:

As far as I know, bigsbies can be mounted on carved tops. You can see them on LP's and 335, and Carvins' 550. I refer to the B6 or B7 type of bigsby.
Though, on mooncaster, one can have problems of alignment with the Bigsby, since  the side is not at a perpendicular angle to the guitar's neck. So, I guess one can't use this type of Bigsby (the B11 - the one recommended for archtops):
trem_b11_l.jpg

On the other hand, the horseshoe design requires a flat top. So this one can't be fitted either.
trem_b5_l.jpg

In my view, the Mooncaster begs for a B11 type of bigsby - but can it be fitted?

Back