The Mooncaster has landed....

And.... The body is gone already but both of the necks are still there. Hopefully someone on the board picked it up, yes? I'd be really interested to see how that build comes out.

heart_hourglass-2603.gif
- waiting for the builder to be ready.

Can't say for certain, but I bet everyone here who has been clamoring for a Starcaster is too young to have been around when Fender couldn't give 'em away back in the seventies. Personally, I find them neither attractive nor nostalgic, but hey, one man's meat is anothers poison.

But Mooncaster? Really? That's the best you could come up with W? How about something that actually makes some sense, like Spellcaster? You can have that one for free...

Guess I'm just getting old and grumpy...

Well, with Warmoth, I can get the details that I want on a Starcaster.  Most importantly, it won't have that three bolt neck.  If Warmoth had the bound f holes, then I would be able to get exactly what I wanted, but this will have to do.
Patrick

As of yet, you can't build a Mooncaster, I don't know... it may remain always showcase? How DO you finish the inside of a hollowbody?

If you're modifying the body outline - why both buying a finished body in the first place? Just get a blank, routed for neck if you're not comfortable doing that part. (Although I'd offer that it's not a real big stretch from routing outlines from a template to doing a neck pocket from a template,

swarfrat said:
If you're modifying the body outline - why bother buying a finished body in the first place? Just get a blank, routed for neck if you're not comfortable doing that part. (Although I'd offer that it's not a real big stretch from routing outlines from a template to doing a neck pocket from a template,

Semi hollow, offset waist, bigger than blanks.

I dunno - once wood chips are flying at 20krpm, you might as well do the whole thing. This is stuff that was considered unskilled labor 40 years ago. We can't have fallen that far can we? We're not talking fretting here,

After enough time banging these things together and just-naturally sleazing into an inadvertent competency, you almost find yourself questioning the whole
Authority~Expert/flunkie~weasel idiot
relationship. Every single expert, started as a mere ex-spurt...

Warmoth's M-Casters are of the routed-solid board with a maple slab on top (Rhoney does 'em like this too), whereas the orig. Fenders and of course the jillions of 335-ish ancestors (and some quite tonely ES-175ish fatboys too) are bent maple plywood.

Rockler has this $75 steamer thing'm:

http://www.rockler.com/steam-bending-kit-w-free-bentwood-carryall-plan-download

Maple plywood is cheap, birch even cheaper, ummm-mmaybe a junked, baby dormroom-sized refrigerator? or a halfsie filing cabinet*, a couple of dome-y hubcaps and 17 bricks, you'd be a-steamin' in de high cotton, so to speak. :icon_thumright:

A: De Stubster should never drink coffee after midnight. :eek:
B: De Stubster should only drink coffee after midnight. :eek:
C: De Stubster should switch back to hootch afore his liver gets too comfy. :eek:

*(A stainless steel sea-turtle coffin would be superlativey - the old ones were better)

I dig the mooncaster and a custom headstock would let you build a very trey anastasio-ish fiddle, but the one body in the showcase is $777.

LOL.

Examples so far have been finished and figured. These are a bit rich for my blood, but they haven't been far out of line withsimilar CT Teles, the closest remaining benchmark.

To be honest as bad as I wanted a starcaster, seeing the diamondback has refocused my interests.

mark1178 said:
Builder builder where's the builder
:dontknow:  I reckon you will be waiting for a long time.

Ever thought of ringing / email them with the spec's you would like.

mark1178 said:
Is it just me, or would a Nike swoosh logo go with the MC headstock?
No your not the only one.

Looks like a wooden Clog, to me.  :laughing7:

The one in the showcase right now says it has a carved top (though it sure doesn't look like it in the pictures...).

Anyway. As one of those who have been banging on about the Starcaster for years, I'd like to say thank you, Warmoth, for finally putting it out there. Shame none of the ones put up yet are in a finish I like and the custom builder isn't up yet and I just went and ordered a Jazzmaster body... but hey, once this one is finished (and the custom builder for it is up), a Mooncaster will certianly be next on my list.

Back