The Graceshredder V in Progress II - the body.

graceshredder

Ok - Next step . . . the body.  There was a lot of over-spray in the holes for the pots that had to be removed before the shafts on the pots would slide up through the holes.  I chose a simple tool . . . the pencil.  I tightly wrapped sandpaper around the pencil and worked it into the holes, spinning the pencil and pistoning it up and down to clean the gunk out.  Perfect.  The Dimarzio pots now slide in and out of the holes with a minimum of clearance.  Next, I wanted to shield the control cavity, since the Seymour Duncan P-Rails pick-ups have single-coil capability.  I used the metal shielding tape I've used on many other guitars that has always done a great job.

The string ferrules!  Aaagghhh!!!!  I knew I had to "press" them in.  But how?  Ah . . . I remembered I had a 'deep reach' clamp in the garage.  Perfect!  But how to use it without marring the beautiful finish?  Because, if I dick-up the finish, I might as well kill myself . . . slowly . . . with a dull rock.  So, I came up with a plan to use a 1X3 board and a towel for protection.  It worked great.  See the pics.  Cool.  But, I ran out of time.  More body work coming soon!

Attachments

• Picture3.jpg
    Picture3.jpg
    236.8 KB · Views: 120
graceshredder said:
The string ferrules!  Aaagghhh!!!!  I knew I had to "press" them in.  But how?  Ah . . . I remembered I had a 'deep reach' clamp in the garage.  Perfect!  But how to use it without marring the beautiful finish?  Because, if I dick-up the finish, I might as well kill myself . . . slowly . . . with a dull rock.  So, I came up with a plan to use a 1X3 board and a towel for protection.  It worked great.  See the pics.  Cool.  But, I ran out of time.  More body work coming soon!

I can confirm that trying to belt ferrules in with a hammer, rubber or steel don't matter, and even if you use a soft base under it,will damage the poly finish...... don't ask how I know this!  :doh:

Did you apply some sort of lubricant to the ferrules so they went in straight? Applying prerssure by clamp might cause them to go off centre if there's a snag on one side of the hole.

If you've got a lathe handy, you could make a ferrule punch.

Use a solderen iron to heat up the ferules.then tap them in. The heat should soften the poly.

Ozziepete - No, I did not use any lubricant on them.  I did, however, use a small tool called 'helping hands' to hold the front smaller ferrules in place while I GENTLY started them into the holes with the clamp.  It seemed to work very well.  You can see it in the bottom left photo just at the end of the 1X3 board. :laughing7:

Swarfrat - Sorry, I don't have a lathe . . . hmmmm . . . . :sign13:

Orpheo - Heat them up?  Interesting.  Wouldn't they expand from the heat and make them all the more difficult to press in?  ???

Back