The Gang's All Here!

• Thread starter weezingthejuicebodhi
  • Start date
W

weezingthejuicebodhi

Hey guys!

In light of finishing up the Warmoth recovery Strat, I'd like to post a few family photos.

The Whole Group:
  • Warmoth Strat - Birdseye Maple Neck, Mahogany/Ash(?) Body, Fralin '69 Pups
  • Epiphone G400 - Stock SG, Shoreline 'USS NJ' Pups (Lightly Potted PAF Clones), CTS Pots, Jimmy Page Wiring
  • Epiphone ES-339 - Stock 339, Fralin 'Vintage P90s' (Standard)
  • Fender Hotrod Deville 4x10 - US 50th Anniversary, Replaced Tone Caps with Orange Drops, Retolexed
  • Pedals (L->R) - MXR Analog Delay, EHX LPB-1 (Boost), Fuzzrocious Helitropic (Fuzz), Boss BD-2 (OD)

ZI7K2xz.jpg

Strat:
Qj0hKrD.jpg

SG:
Ncy8apv.jpg

339:
9HPYHG9.jpg

Deville:
w6UYXfm.jpg

Pedals:
zQTv7kZ.jpg

Other than the Warmoth Strat, I've stuck with this gear for awhile. When I was a teenager I had a JCM2000 Half-Stack and modeling floorboards/etc. but I since have changed my approach. Even the Deville is a little [physically] heavy for my tastes, but it sounds great. I also could probably go without the LPB-1 now, so I really only use three effects now. Otherwise I try to be more mindful of using the tone pots and switches on the guitar and changed my playing dynamics to get more with a little.

I can't say enough good things about Lindy Fralin's pickups and Shoreline's pickups. Fralin is obviously well known, but I can attest that he makes great stuff. Shoreline is a small maker in Medford, NJ but the owner is a wonderful man and really gives you the boutique experience for a similar/better price than the majors. Both of these guitars are diamonds in the rough. I know import guitars can be a crap shoot, but these two are really well made. Once I replaced the pickups they easily went from punching at middleweight to hanging with the heavyweights. (The SG wiring was a nightmare - never do Jimmy Page wiring! Unless you like torture of course)

If you own a Fender 'Hot Rod' amp - I highly recommend getting the tone caps replaced. The tone controls are almost notorious for being non-responsive, but a relatively simple upgrade really opens the amps range up.

The MXR Delay is great, I find it to be the best performing delay-for-dollar (especially when buying used). The LPB-1 is great, but I find it to be a better natural OD rather than booster since it colors the signal too much. The Fuzzrocious is made by another local guy, but again - absolutely killer stuff. It is a bit 'brutal' out of the box and geared for bass and doom/sludge metal, butttttt at low gain with a rolled-back volume knob it really hits that 'Gilmour'-ish fuzz sound perfectly. The BD-2 is my favorite OD right now. I used to be a TS9 enthusiast, but I find the BD-2 to be a little more than a one-trick pony. This is especially so because I only use the clean channel on my amp, and don't even remember what the OD channel sounds like anymore. The board is actually a cheap Donner board off of Amazon and I have no complaints about it!

That's a nice Gang you've got there.

I can imagine that the Fralin's sound good. I wouldn't mind trying some out, but that will be somewhere way ahead in the future I think.

Back