The difference in sound ...

Logrinn

For everybody that wonders about the difference in sound if you have this or that type of wood in the body and this or that type of wood in the neck and how the scale length makes a guitar sound different ... or the string gauge ... or the pickups ...

Have a look at the very talented Pete Cottrells video of how distortion makes everything sound the same ... Very entertaining.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/E35g4pXdvEk[/youtube]

:icon_biggrin:

I think the best way to hear the difference between guitars is first to listen to them unplugged, then listen to them very clean with no effects.

Perhaps one lesson to learn here is that the Metal Zone pedal can rob pretty much any guitar of its distinguishing characteristics.

If it does that to the guitar's characteristics, imagine what it does to the payer's!
  :icon_jokercolor:

I think the best way to hear the difference between guitars is first to listen to them unplugged, then listen to them very clean with no effects.

That is GOSPEL, brother!

I think the first time I ever heard anyone talk about the "listen to the guitar unplugged" thing first was in an interview with Dickey Betts. He said something to that effect, and I've found it to be a very good starting point ever since.  :)

Bagman67 said:
Perhaps one lesson to learn here is that the Metal Zone pedal can rob pretty much any guitar of its distinguishing characteristics.

Exactly.

In my old band we at one point ran a Casio keyboard through a Metal Zone ... almost getting the same sound* as when I used my 335 knock off.

* utterly horrible  :doh:

AirCap said:

That is GOSPEL, brother!

Yes, indeed. However, I contend that the number one factor in a guitar's tone is who's playing it.

Back