The Chamaeleoncaster project

Frank67

Hi Warmoth enthusiasts,

I have so far build two Warmoth guitars and I am really excited about all the possibilities that are on offer and the quality of the products.

Here I wanted to share with you a project that took quite a while to complete and that was fairly challenging I call it "The Chamaeleoncaster" because of its incredibly many different voices. I don't know how to but is it possible to submit that for your nice "Guitar of the month" contest?

Body: chambered Stratocaster, Walnut on black Korina. Rear-routed, All body contours

Neck: 25.5 scale, Macassar ebony on walnut, 59 neck profile, 10-16 compound radius, Warmoth headstock with Schaller locking mini tuners, Graphtech TUSQ nut, pearled block inlays.

The hardware is where it becomes very non-standard. I started from three mini-humbuckers but they turned out to be too muddy in combination with the somewhat mi-rangy wood. The present pickups are three Duesenberg "Little-Toasters". They have plenty of top end sparkle. The pickups can be switched series-parallel-split coil with the three black mini switches. The gold-control knob is master volume and contains a S1 switching system to give endless tonal variations (something over 50 possible sounds). The middle control knob is a no load-tone pot that is push pull to put the bridge pickup out of phase thus adding further to the tonal varieties one can get.

The bridge was a tone pros TOM but now is a GraphTech ghost system. It has the acoustasonic pre-amp on board and sounds absolutely incredibly. The third knob is the master volume for the piezo. It is push-pull to give two different acoustic voices. The fourth toggle switches between piezo only, magnetic+piezo and magnetic pickups only. Hence it is easy to go from acoustic accompaniment to screaming distorted lead.

The output jack is stereo and hence one can trigger two different amps at the same time using a stereo cable.

This guitar was a big project that a friend helped me with. New holes needed to be drilled, the pickups routes modified, custom pickup frames needed to be made, the piezo needed to be connected to the electronics box via a new channel.

I am really pleased with the outcome. This guitar fits like a glove, is lightweight, the neck is super-comfortable to play on and the many voices make it unique. It can sparkle, it can scream, it can be fat and meaty and it can be crisp. I highly recommend the ghost system. It sounds absolutely fantastic, even when mixed into the magnetic signal.

DSC_0036_zpsd818b273.jpg

DSC_0037_zpsd6440ab8.jpg

DSC_0038_zpsc154250e.jpg

DSC_0039_zpsafe58c27.jpg

DSC_0040_zps0dcd4e22.jpg

That's quite a piece of work you've done there! Attractive, and I imagine the tonal pallet is pretty variable.

Cagey said:
That's quite a piece of work you've done there! Attractive, and I imagine the tonal pallet is pretty variable.

It really was quite a piece of work - also because I kept changing my mind about what I wanted and that required additional routings. Originally I thought that the mini-humbuckers would provide a smooth, bright, snappy tone - but in combination with the body and neck they were dull and muddy. The little toasters are clearly a better choice for this guitar. They sound intermediate between single coils and humbuckers. Hence, the splitting doesn't really add as much as I had anticipated for the mini humbuckers.

If I can bring only guitar to the gig this is it - It is fine as it is. However, with a bit of midboost/high-cut it sounds as fat as a Les Paul overdriven and with a bit of high-boost/mid-scoop it sounds as crisp and sparkly as a Strat. Together with the truly awesome sounding GraphTech ghost system almost all sonic territories are covered and are just the flip of a switch away.

I'm glad to hear you're enjoying the Ghost pickups. I've got a Ghost system that's been sitting around here just rotting that's designed for a Wilkinson vibrato bridge. Haven't found any good demos/instructions/tutorials on modifying the bridge plate, so I haven't dug into it yet. I think I'm going to have to install the saddles, string it up, and set the intonation so I can see where to drill the holes for the wiring from the saddles. Otherwise, I'm afraid of breaking/shorting out the wires.

Yes, the wiring from the saddles was fairly challenging. We contemplated a number of possibilities. I would not have had the tools to do it, but fortunately a friend did and he carefully drilled the hole through the hole for the input jack on the side. No the rear routed electronics chamber is pretty cramped since it also fits the batter and the preamp. I think having the preamp on board is a good choice with the ghost system. I have heard and tried quite a few piezo equipped electric guitars and IMHO this is the nicest sounding system. It would be really nice of Warmoth to have the Ghost bridges in their catalogue and would offer the extra drillings. It seems that quite a few people are interested and other special choices - like 2Tek bridges - are supported by Warmoth.

Of course one only can take full advantage of the system by running that signal through a flat frequency amplifying system, preferably probably one that also takes care of the intrinsic harshness that any piezo system seems to have. I run the signal into an LR Baggs para acoustic preamp and from there to the PA or an acoustic guitar amp while running the electric signal into the electric guitar amp using a Y cable.

I'm not big on natural finishes, but the finish on that combined with the gold/black hardware just make it a beautiful instrument, almost steampunk-ish.

It's good that you rewired it cause you wanted something else - I'm kind-of amazed at how many people make their ultimate dream guitar with this-that-the doghouse & the kitchen sink - and it come out absolutely perfect the first time! If you want to find out what something weird is gonna sound like in your hands, you just have to hit the launch button and be glad you can fritz it around if needed. I'm reaching the point where they're all liable to be a work-in-progress, or sort of like just one, big, giant, mess-o-gits.

StübHead said:
It's good that you rewired it cause you wanted something else - I'm kind-of amazed at how many people make their ultimate dream guitar with this-that-the doghouse & the kitchen sink - and it come out absolutely perfect the first time! If you want to find out what something weird is gonna sound like in your hands, you just have to hit the launch button and be glad you can fritz it around if needed. I'm reaching the point where they're all liable to be a work-in-progress, or sort of like just one, big, giant, mess-o-gits.

He he, everything guitar being a big work-in-progress kind of summarizes it for me too ... I just had and continue to have too much fun playing around with guitars. But I am running out of things I could possibly want ... the ampmania (settled on a twin) and pedalmania (have a great board) is also pretty much done ... I should just be happy with what I have - and I am! ... just a few minor tweaks (that what they all say I guess  :icon_jokercolor:)

Cheers and  :rock-on:

StübHead said:
Yup. My first Warmoth is on its third set of pickups and its second switching scheme.

Back