Textured Finishing? HELP

joe2000

Would anyone know how to achieve the kind of finishing on the red and green guitars in this link?

http://www.luxxtoneguitars.com/guitars/el-machete

I agree, although it's more likely shell blasting using crushed walnut shells rather than sand or glass beads. Sand/beads would be pretty aggressive.

Indeed.  I was speaking generically, rather than particularly.  Shell-blasting seems more likely.

You'd blast it first, since any finish that's already there would be removed by the blasting process.  You may want to do some sanding after that, depending on how sharp the ridges you create end up being.  Then you'd stain, seal, and clearcoat, in very general terms.

I think that was done by burning the soft grain of swamp ash with a torch and then wire brushing it with a stiff wire brush to get the grooves in the deep. Then it is painted with a solid color finish. If I was a gambling man I'd put my money on that. If that is not how they did it I would loose the bet but I'm sure you could make that work.

I worked in a custom furniture shop and we achieved a texture like that by using an angle grinder with a wire wheel on it. worked great.

Back