Testbed Strat

Ddbltrbl

I've been playing around with various pickup combinations, configurations and wirings lately and needed a body I could put about anything into. I've also wanted to try out a Swamp Ash body once. So, digging through the show case I found this nice Swamp Ash and Maple gem that seemed to fit the bill.
ps9135a.jpg

ps9135b.jpg

With a universal bathtub rout and a nice Canary & Ebony neck like below and I think it should make a pretty good test bed for all my mad science experimenting.
sn15331a.jpg

sn15331b.jpg

So, it arrived looking like this -
DSC_0022_zpsf029acf1.jpg

DSC_0003_zps000531a0.jpg

DSC_0023_zps34577c90.jpg

DSC_0013_zps1e777662.jpg

I've rolled the fretboard edges and rounded the fret ends a little. and will start putting it together tomorrow.
I'm super happy with both the body and neck. The finish is fantastic, and both the front and back of the neck have much more character than shows up in the pictures.
Now I just have to decide which pickguard I want to play with first.  :cool01:
DSC_0024_zpsf04b67e2.jpg

That's a nice test bed, in fact it's a nice guitar full stop.

Have you thought of using some sort of threaded inserts instead of pickguard screws for more durable swaps?

@stratmania - No I hadn't! I've never had much problem with stripping screws, but you may have a good idea!
Have you tried it? Any particular inserts you would recommend?

I did put a connector between the jack and the volume pot so I can "plug and play"!  :laughing7:
I also connected the bridge ground to the shield on the jack side of the connector.

My only complaint (if I even have one) is that the fretboard hangs over the pickguard, but I knew that going in, so... :dontknow:

Thanks for the idea!

Testbed? TESTBED?!? That thing is GORGEOUS!! I think you should let ME test it for a year or two!! :icon_biggrin:

No I haven't tried it personally for a pickguard and I don't know where I got the idea.

I may have read about someone doing it for a test bed guitar when looking for information on threaded inserts for pickups mounted to wood rather than rings. It seemed like a good idea so it was something I remembered.

i recommend you stick with the same pickguard vendor EVERY time. Particularly if you install inserts. i just got done plugging and drilling new holes that didnt quite line up.

stratamania said:
No I haven't tried it personally for a pickguard and I don't know where I got the idea.

I may have read about someone doing it for a test bed guitar when looking for information on threaded inserts for pickups mounted to wood rather than rings. It seemed like a good idea so it was something I remembered.

Generally a test bed guitar would be made out of something like plain alder and maybe a quick coat of clear. Your's is obviously a step or two above that.  :icon_thumright:

I think the threaded screw insert thing is good if you are testbedding a lot of neck variants - or using a 22+fretted neck -  as the woodscrews on the neck joint is a concern if they wear the holes badly under constant use.

On the usual test bed guitar no one would care if the body had a bazillion holes for numerous pickguards. But implanting threaded inserts has to be very precise and the holes that come with pickguards from numerous manufacturers are only generally in the position. Even a slight fraction out will mean that the pickguard won't screw in. I feel that is the sort of work you would do if you found the pickguard you want in place permanently. YMMV of course.

Re-Pete, it's not my test bed, it's Dbltrbl's.  But anyway that is a good point if using threaded inserts for pickguards they would have to come from the same source.

Perhaps someone could get, an SSS an HSS and HSH, HH and that should cover most bases.  Add a modular plug to go into a socket in the body for the output and grounding and they could become "personality cards". 

Great Ape said:
Testbed? TESTBED?!? That thing is GORGEOUS!! I think you should let ME test it for a year or two!! :icon_biggrin:
Glad you like it GA! I'll just package that up for you!  :toothy12: I know you've got a couple I'd trade for... if I wasn't 1/2 way around the world.

So, I am probably not really going to switch pickguards that often folks. Specially not if I have to loosen the neck each time, so this might actually be more work than it's worth for me. I've got a nice light touch with the screws!  Uh huh, right! But, I do drill, countersink and superglue all my holes!  Hmm... some how that didn't come out just right. ???

But, you guys got me thinking... what if I could do it with magnets? Hmmm... I guess I could use a metal pickguard, or just inlay metal discs in to the back of a plastic one!  :dontknow: :icon_jokercolor: :toothy12:

Anyway, thanks for the link Cagey!  :icon_thumright: I almost did that to salvage a friends Telecaster neck that some other friend "fixed" by drilling and inserting 3/8" pine dowel rods.  :sad1: :doh:
But, it wasn't really worth salvaging anyway, so I sold him on getting a replacement from Warmoth instead. He's much happier now!

I discovered 3 of my tuners were missing the screws and I didn't have any extras, and I thought I had an extra jack laying around, but it was stereo, so now I'm waiting for a jack and a screw!

You can use stereo jacks in mono applications You just have to be careful which tabs you solder to so you get the tip (hot) and sleeve (ground) rather than some combination that includes the ring (2nd channel).

26364d1384714819-trs-explanation.jpg

Yeah, but I might want that stereo jack for something else!  :laughing7:

Did you also notice I didn't shield a thing?  :laughing7:

I use coax wherever suitable and twisted pairs anywhere I can't. My guitars are always as quiet or more so than any of the others in the room! And, 50 cycle hum is really an issue in Japan as they use 2 phase power with floating grounds everywhere!

Ddbltrbl said:
Did you also notice I didn't shield a thing?  :laughing7:

I didn't notice, as cavity shielding is the unusual sight, not lack of it. Any time I see it, I think "Now there's a lotta work that didn't need to be done!"

It is necessary to use shielded cable like you did, though, even with noiseless or "humbucking" pickups, and on the line to the output jack. It's amazing how much that short run to the jack can pick up in a 4 or 5 inches.

Yeah, my background is a EE with many years in the telecom industry and almost as many doing signal propagation and teach micro-miniature board repair and soldering for the military. In extreme cases (higher frequencies) even the end of a wire hanging out past a lug can work as an antenna. But, using shielded cables and keeping single wire lengths to a minimum can go a long way to reducing the noise you pickup. But, trying to build a Faraday cage while leaving an antenna hanging out one side is just a waste of time and money! :icon_thumright:

Back