Tele Thinline Problem

lunkenhunk

Hi guys,

so I finished the electronic of my 72' Telecaster Thinline Project the last days and at that point I recognize that my warmoth body has a Strat Neck Pocket - it was a showcase item and there were no infos about that. Damn thing, cause I ordered (and want) a tele neck, that will arrive these days here in germany. Now I have to cut out the neck pocket to fit the heel correctly - so my question is - how to do it right - sand it out (maybe this takes a lot of time) or do it with a wood file? And will it fit correctly with that hand made modification. Does anyone had the same problem?

Thanks for answering!

lunkenhunk

That is in fact a Tele neck pocket; go to this page and click on the "neck pocket specs" item on the right hand side of the page:

http://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Bodies/Tele/ThinTele.aspx

The corners of a Strat pocket would be more rounded.

I've put a strat neck on a tele, with no problems, but if it is indeed a strat pocket then you might need to do some sanding.
Can you ask the warmoth people what neck pocket you have?
I don't think it'll be the end of the world, but if it turns out to be a wrong neck and you can't fix it, you have 10 days to return it.  Remember the moment you do some sanding though, the neck is yours.

That looks like a strat pocket - here are pics of both. Warmoth can make a tele neck with a strat pocket, don't worry. I think they charge a little bit for it.

Hi lunkenhunk,

Sorry you are having a problem. Please email sales@warmoth.com with the pictures, your name and order number. You'll hear back shortly.

Thanks!  Gregg -

Actually, I want to build a guitar like yours, like a tele thinline, with p rails in the neck and a duncan distortion in bridge, plus a 5 way switch.  What wood is the body?  What wood is the neck?  What pots are you using? 

Anyway, the folks at Warmoth will take care of you.

good luck

tfarny said:
That looks like a strat pocket - here are pics of both. Warmoth can make a tele neck with a strat pocket, don't worry. I think they charge a little bit for it.
Looks like a strat pocket to me too, I know you can put a strat neck in a tele pocket. But I don't think a tele neck will work in a strat pocket.

hey guys,

unfortunately my pocket is a strat pocket. So we will see, if the neck arrives, what to cut out from the pocket to fit all things right.

My Thinline is mahogany back, flame maple top, neck is flame maple. The P-Rails wired with a 3 way switch an 2 push pull pots. But there are only a few types of push pull pots on market, so you can't take CTS or something.

Great forum!

Thanks a lot.

lunkenhunk said:
hey guys,

unfortunately my pocket is a strat pocket. So we will see, if the neck arrives, what to cut out from the pocket to fit all things right.

My Thinline is mahogany back, flame maple top, neck is flame maple. The P-Rails wired with a 3 way switch an 2 push pull pots. But there are only a few types of push pull pots on market, so you can't take CTS or something.

Great forum!

Thanks a lot.

Please check your e-mail.... Thanks!

Rob

In thinking about it, if you need to exchange it for a strat neck, it wouldn't look historically inaccurate.  While the thinline got a tele neck, the tele deluxe got a strat neck, so it wouldn't be that out of place.  The two humbuckers definitely move it closer to the deluxe area.

I'd say it depends almost entirely on your woodworking experience and comfort level. Fortunately, you don't have to add wood to correct the pocket, it's all removal. I would personally do it with the tips of half-round and rattail wood rasps, but I already have those tools and I know what they do. I wouldn't say, "just go buy some rasps and flail away till it's groovy...." The fact that you ask means maybe you're not ready to tear into it, maybe you could find a woodworking friend to at least help. Sandpaper on a stick would work, but it'd be slow. A small, 1/4" chisel would speed things up, if you know how to use a chisel. A Dremel moto-tool with a 1/4" sanding drum is way too fast, even I wouldn't be tempted - it's just a tiny bit of wood that has to go.

You'd also need a short, what, 1.5" straight-edged something to make sure you were keeping the bottom of the pocket flat, and a long, at least 25.5" straight edge to check the alignment as you go.

This all assumes that shipping back and forth and waiting are financially and mentally intolerable.... :laughing7:

P.S. ( If you do decide to do it, feel free to ask questions - you'd want to be super-careful not to chip the maple top or finish by angling them back, you want to be super-careful not to get sanding grit on the rest of the finish - wrap it up in paper and snip out the section you're working on and tape those edges down with blue painter's tape - etc. etc. etc.)

http://www.marthastewart.com/article/tin-can-robot - if Martha can do it....

I would use a template and a router.. If I could not get the template I would use wood gouges... I can tell you as a guy who has done both, it's easyer to make a strat pocket into a tele pocket than the other way around..

My bad eariler just got your photo open.. that looks to be a strat neck... what has warmoth said..

Rick said:
In thinking about it, if you need to exchange it for a strat neck, it wouldn't look historically inaccurate.  While the thinline got a tele neck, the tele deluxe got a strat neck, so it wouldn't be that out of place.  The two humbuckers definitely move it closer to the deluxe area.
Agreed, just get a strat neck and a Deluxe PG..... :dontknow:

If it were me, I'd get the strat neck.  the fret overhang may possibly cover the pick guard so I'd hold off on replacing that.  It would look like a cross between a thinline and a deluxe.  It would look cool.

I converted a strat pocket to tele using a dremel. It was messy and uneven, I wouldn't do it to a great warmoth body, but this was a MIM fender with a chip in the finish. In the end the pickguard covers up all the mess and the whole thing is invisible anyhow.

So - the neck arrived yesterday. Gorgeous work - absolutely perfect fretting, finish and wood-look!
But it will not fit  :-\  the holes from the body and neck are not far away so that the screws will fit, but it doesnt work correctly hole in hole - hope u understand, what I'm trying to say - I measure the scale from bridge to 12th fret and maybe it will work with correction of the bridge saddles, but it will not fit correctly - and thats not my intention for building that guitar. Warmoth will cash back some money for that - and I will go to a local luthier to make it fit. I'm not stupid in woodwork, but thats a type too hot for me to do.

Thanks a lot for the help guys - after next week holiday I will complete the project --- > Fotos!!!  :hello2:

Greetz from germany

Back