Tele Routing Issue

PunchlineChar

Hey everyone!

I'm helping my friend build a guitar, and since I had success with my Warmoth body, we decided to use them on this build. He decided on a telecaster shape, with back routing, and LP style controls. Now, the toggle switch feeds into the neck pickup cavity, and then those two feed into the main control cavity. The bridge pickup has its own hole into the control cavity. Thing is, there isn't enough lead on the pickup to make it to the toggle switch, because I have to feed it into the main cavity and then into the neck wire channel. Should I just extend it with some wire to make the connection? I want to make sure it'll be grounded properly, and that the tone of the pickup is unaffected.

Hope y'all can help me out!

If the Tele has LP controls with individual volume and tone for each pickup you would not need to rout the wires in the manner you described if using traditional LP wiring schemes.

A harness is used in Les Pauls and that is what is used between the control cavity and the toggle switch, the pickups wires only go to the control cavity. The pickups attach to their own volume controls not the switch.

An LP wiring goes pickup to volume and tone controls - to switch - to output which is different to other wiring such as a Tele or Strat which goes pickup to selector switch then to pots and then to output.

2H_3G_2V_2T.jpg

Here is a video which may be helpful also.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1-v8oCf8Hk
[/youtube]

If you do have to extend the wires for some reason if you are not using traditional LP wiring.

Twist the wires together, solder them and use some shrink tubing to insulate.

Here is an example, in this case for EMG battery leads but the principle is exactly the same.  After soldering the wires, let them cool, slide the shrink tubing over the join and use heat to shrink.

48212825777_609cffc003_o.jpg

stratamania said:

Twist the wires together, solder them and use some shrink tubing to insulate.

Here is an example, in this case for EMG battery leads but the principle is exactly the same.  After soldering the wires, let them cool, slide the shrink tubing over the join and use heat to shrink.

48212825777_609cffc003_o.jpg

Yep.  I also like to first tin the wires, then use needle nose pliers to make hooks out of them.  Hook the wires together, pinch the hooks together, solder, then heatshrink.  The idea is to create a good mechanical connection as well as the solder.

Ahh that makes sense why they would rout it that way. We had it routed for only a master volume and tone, so I'll extend the ground cable with some wire. Could I use electrical tape to insulate? Or would that not be as effective?

stratamania said:

Quick tangent for Stratamania; this is from your NFT floyd build right? I saw that thread and really dug it, how has that setup been for tuning stability? Considering building one of those myself.

Yes you could use insulating tape, though I would prefer shrink tube if you can get it. The important thing is getting that mechanical and soldered connection.

Per the quick tangent, yes that is one of the photos from the Metallic Black Cherry Floyd NFT build. and glad you liked the thread.

I find the tuning stability of that guitar very good. I have just got hold of another FR NFT for another similar build with an LSR nut the same as the one mentioned. I have a couple of options which way I might go with it otherwise. But also have a couple of other ones to work on so watch this space as they say. It will probably be around late spring before I get to them.

Back