Tele neck pickup wire channel

Megatron

I recently completed a chambered tele build and really struggled getting the neck pickup wire down into the body cavity. I found others online who had the exact same issue. Details here:
https://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=34004.0

Suggestion: instead of drilling a hole from the tele neck pickup cavity to meet the wire channel, the CNC machine could rout the channel all the way into the pickup cavity, ensuring it would be both smooth and wide enough to more easily accommodate thin and flexible pickup wires that are hard to push through.

Or you could tie some dental floss to a zip tie and pull it through.

rick2 said:
Or you could tie some dental floss to a zip tie and pull it through.

You can read more and see pics of this approach from my recent build. I did this but with three wires and a rough channel it was extremely difficult. Floss snapped a lot as well.

Shows how to do it. https://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=29494.60  the key is put a little hole in the end of the zip tie and treat it like a needle that can bend.

I used the same gardening wire that I use to suspend necks and bodies from ceilings (that sounded morbid....) to act as a wire-pull.  Rigid enough and thin enough to fit through most channels and I can make a loop in the end to attach my wire.  That also becomes like a needle.

Reminds me of days of running network cable through ceilings and walls at my last job, whether I was using fish tape or a gopher pole. :)

change the strings on one of ur other guitars (lets face it, we all have more than 1) and save the old a or d string. use the ball end to get thru the channel (the ball helps it not get stick in the wood grain), and then tie whatever wire to the other end and pull 'er on thru

sometimes u gotta think outside the bun. everyone always wants to look smart but this is a huge mistake. You want to look dumb but be secretly smart. no one asks you to do anything if you look dumb, and you can always do what you want, and if anyone gives u trouble, you say something like "oh my gosh" and then they let it go

Back