Tele Bridge?

rauchman

Greetings,

Anxiously awaiting my Tele body and neck to build my 1st Warmoth.  I've been researching parts and what not, and didn't realize the string spacing is different on Tele Vintage bridge to the Tele American Standard bridge (10.8mm vs 10.5mm).

The question is....

If a body is already routed/drilled for the Tele Vintage Bridge, can a Tele American Standard bridge be used to take advantage of the narrower spacing?

I'm guessing not, but ya don't know if ya don't ask.

Depending on the manufacturer they have different specs.  Holes can be enlarged or angled. It would help if you posted a link to the bridges you were considering.  I don't want to get your hopes up though.  They do have hardtail string through bridge options.

Are you painting the body when you get it? If so plug and redrill. 

Or find a toploader bridge with the spacing you want with the mounting holes that match your body.

Or if you want to do a hack job counterbore the string holes from the topside about half way down the thickness of the body so the strings will be able to make the slight angles enough to come thru the bridge spacing at the topside of the body that you want.

https://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Bodies/Options/BridgeRoutingOptions.aspx

The above may have some answers for you.

rauchman said:
If a body is already routed/drilled for the Tele Vintage Bridge, can a Tele American Standard bridge be used to take advantage of the narrower spacing?

Not easily one has four mounting holes and the other three.  But you can fit one of these...

https://www.warmoth.com/Gotoh-Standard-Tele-C708.aspx

You should also check out Babicz bridges: http://www.fullcontacthardware.com/
Their standard series Tele bridge fits both 3 and 4 hole mounts, while the "Z" series fits only 4 hole mounts. Both have modern string spacing. I have a "Z" series on my Tele, I really like it, great bridge. Good luck on your quest!

Thanks all.  I called Warmoth yesterday to check on my order (it has shipped...woohoo!!!) and the gent I spoke with said he didn't think installing the American standard bridge on a body drilled for the Vintage Tele bridge would work.  Not a big deal, but lesson learned for the next build.

Just FYI, the Babicz bridges will mount to the vintage, 4 hole route, and intonate correctly.

The Z Series Bridge is made to retrofit on a vintage, 4 hole routed Tele, and designed as a replacement for a traditional "ashtray" bridge. Strings pass through the body as usual. I own one of these, and my only issue using this bridge on a Warmoth vintage routed body arose because I used it with a 24.75" conversion scale neck. The shorter scale moves the intonation points forward just a tad. Because of this, I had to get slightly longer intonation screws for the G and D strings, as the provided screws proved to be a hair too short. Others have not had this problem, maybe our ideas of intonation are different. In any event, screws are cheap, I could even provide a couple if needed, I have a few extras. If used with a standard 25.5" scale neck, there should be no issue at all.

The Standard Series bridge is drilled for both, 3 hole American Standard, and 4 hole Vintage routes, with the Vintage 4 hole mounting holes in front of the American Standard 3 hole mounting holes. This allows for the difference in positioning of the mounting holes between Vintage and American Standard routed guitars, but not for the difference in the positioning of the string through holes. The string through holes on this bridge are made to line up with the Vintage route. Because of this, if used on a Tele with the 3 hole mount, strings must be top mounted, and not through the body. If used on a 4 hole mount Tele, you may use either method to string it up.

My personal preference is the Z series bridge. I'm not too keen on the thought of having those extra, unused holes, on the standard model. Although, if you want a Babicz on an American Standard routed Tele, it's just something you would need to come to terms with.

Rick said:
Plus babicz is from New York Hudson Valley delta country.
Just across the river from me. In fact, I was tempted to drive over and pick one up, but they were actually cheaper online.

Some manufacturers consider it poor practice to compete with their distributors, so if they sell direct at all, it's at an artificially high (list) price to discourage direct sales. It also keeps them from having to deal with those pesky end users and their inevitable pettiness, leaving them free to do what they do best - manufacture.

Cagey said:
Some manufacturers consider it poor practice to compete with their distributors, so if they sell direct at all, it's at an artificially high (list) price to discourage direct sales. It also keeps them from having to deal with those pesky end users and their inevitable pettiness, leaving them free to do what they do best - manufacture.
A'la Hipshot.......

I met Babicz years ago at a guitar show ...  Nice guy.  Very proud of his products and very willing to give follow-up support.  I'd feel 100% with any of his products.

Back