Tele bridge swap options and pickups

Danuda

On my last build I installed a traditional brass saddle telecaster bridge.  After playing with it for about a year I have discovered I don't particularly like the bridge (or the pickups for that matter).  I find myself always going back to my other tele that has Seymor Duncan Phat Cats and a Schaller 475.  I don't mind drilling holes for a new mounting location, but I don't want to have to have visible filler on the old holes.
I put in GFS Vintage Modern Pickups and I have found I don't really like them.  I much prefer the Phat Cats.  Any pickups that will have more of the Phat Cat sound in a single coil size and is noiseless?  I can't put another set of Phat Cat's in since one of the places I play has really bad interference issues.
Is this the sort of situation where I should just start over with a different body or is this pretty doable?  I find the bridge to be more workable than the pickups.  If the bridge can't be swapped I at least need to change the pickups to something else or the guitar will just sit and look pretty.  I would rather not route for larger pickups, but I will if I have to.

Here is a quick pick of the guitar I am talking about.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/68463332@N06/7820392434/

I don't know much about the Schaller 457, but you could replace your standard Tele bridge with a Gotoh one :

TB1C.jpg

http://www.warmoth.com/Gotoh-Standard-Tele-Bridge-Chrome-P599C708.aspx

There is also a version that accepts humbuckers. They do not have all the features of the 457 (fine tuners) but they are still better than the 3-saddle design of the classic Tele bridge, so that's a middle ground you might consider.

Oh, I like that.  That would pretty much clear up the issues I have with my current bridge.  I may go with the humbucker bridge version and swap the neck pickup with a different noiseless single coil sized pickup and then go with something else in the bridge.

That Gotoh unit pictured above also comes with a PAF-style humbucker cutout, which widens your possibilities dramatically but would require some routing. It's a flat top on that guitar, though, so with a $6 template routing out that cavity would be a simple matter. I've done it several times without issue.

As for a noiseless single coil, you might want to try one of GFS' "True Coil" parts. To me, they're the closest thing to a single coil I've heard. Very convincing.

thumbnail.asp

thumbnail.asp

thumbnail.asp

They're not completely noiseless, as the lower coil is just a little bucking unit; it doesn't sense the strings at all. But, it's definitely a million miles from an actual single coil pickup as far as noise goes. I mean, if I can tolerate, it can't be too bad. I have no patience for 60 cycle hum. Plus, at $32, it's a pretty inexpensive experiment.

If all else fails, that guitar would excel at sitting around looking pretty <grin>

A single coil with a Phat Cat sound and noiseless? Tough order!

That's basically what this is designed as:

http://www.kinman.com/guitar-pickups/telecaster/bridge-blaster/index.php

Seymour Duncan Hot Stack is the pickup you want. The overwound main coil and bar magnet give it the same tonal balance as the Phat Cat, though of course being Tele-size and at an angle, the resulting tone will always be a little thinner. Careful pot selection, or various resistor mods, can help thicken the tone. A warmer tone can also be had from a SD Hot Rails, DM Super Distortion T or Tone Zone T wired parallel.

You should also take a look at the alnico magnet Telecaster pickups that EMG make, specifically the 'X' series. Their tone is about halfway between typical Tele and a P-90.

I had looked at the hot stack, but when I looked at the resistance it seemed hotter than the Phat Cat.  Maybe the fact that it is a smaller package changes the tonal properties?  What size pot would you recommend?  I am not very good at matching that.  Probably because I do not truly understand how it affects tone.  The resistors and pots that I use I just pickup based on the wiring diagram recommendations usually.

I used Fender's Samarium Cobalt Noiseless (SCN) bridge and neck noiseless pickups in my walnut tele, and I couldn't be happier with them.  They're acutally stacked humbuckers in a tele package.  Very full sound.

Bill Lawerence makes noiseless pu's
http://wildepickups.com/Wilde_Bill_s_NF_Singles.html
His L-290TLE is a P90 type Tele pu.
Here are some discriptions, the thread is old & some pu types have changed.
http://guitarsbyfender.yuku.com/search/topic/topic/3033
You might find this interesting about bridge materials.
http://billlawrence.com/Pages/All_About_Tone.htm/TeleLovers.htm
That Tele looks great, with that Wenge neck it shoudn't be sitting in the corner.

Might consider one of these..... no routing required....

http://riograndepickups.com/scart/ProductPage.asp?ImageLink=DHTBB&ProductName=For+Tele

You can also ask Ken (TroubledTreble) if he think he could do it.  I have a set of his tele pickups, and they are dandy, but Tele pickups.  I have a set of his humbuckers, and they are dandy, and huge sounding.  I also have a T90 which is a hybrid of a tele and a P90 pickup, a lot of tele and a lot of bark.  The point is Ken can do some interesting things that are not always considered traditional pickups.  It is worth asking to get his opinion.  I also have the Gotoh bridge, I like it a lot.
Patrick

I currently am leaning more towards routing out the bridge PU and swapping for a humbucker.  I would need to figure out a way to balance the two out though so the neck doesn't get over powered.  Maybe just going and routing out both of them is the way to go.

Lindy Fralin +15 over.  Thats gonna be close.  Might wanna double plate it though.  Phats are not noiseless....just sayin

Yeah, phat cats are definitely not noiseless.  That is part of why I chose  noiseless pickups for this guitar since I am having issues with interference.  I just picked the wrong noiseless pickups.  I will have to check out Fralin.

Ken can correct, but the last time I asked him about a stacked P-90 he wasn't doing them (bobbins I think was the reason).

Speaking of interference, the reason I settled in on the Fender SCN's is that there's a microwave tower right across the street from the church where I play, and I've never been able to get away with using single coil pickups in that room without turning sideways.  Very annoying, but the SCN's saved the day.  I liked them so much that I use them in my Strat as well.

Wasn't the microwave tower's fault. It's dealing with frequencies your guitar could never sense and your amp could never amplify. The problem is the AC power in the room and the transformers in your and everyone else's amps. Sets up a lot of magnetic fields around you at 60hz and that's what you're picking up. 60hz is a fairly low frequency, which manifests itself as a "hum" if it gets into your signal chain. Configuring your pickups just right will cancel that hum, hence "humbucking" or "noiseless" pickups.

Mine is specifically a hearing induction loop that is in the sanctuary of the church a play at.  The other places I play have not been a problem including other venues within the church (the gym for example).  There is no getting away from it unless we turn off the loop and that causes problems with the hard of hearing folks.  Those hearing loops are really nasty.  Rumor has it they are going to become less common as more and more people get digital hearing aids.

Cagey said:
Wasn't the microwave tower's fault. It's dealing with frequencies your guitar could never sense and your amp could never amplify. The problem is the AC power in the room and the transformers in your and everyone else's amps. Sets up a lot of magnetic fields around you at 60hz and that's what you're picking up. 60hz is a fairly low frequency, which manifests itself as a "hum" if it gets into your signal chain. Configuring your pickups just right will cancel that hum, hence "humbucking" or "noiseless" pickups.

Ditto, not the tower.  But its 120hz, not 60......  its "caused" by 60 cycle power, but what we hear is 120hz - try injecting a 60hz signal into an amp with a tone generator, and you'll see what I mean.  That awful buzz is 120hz.  The 60hz sounds almost like a rumble.

Danuda said:
I had looked at the hot stack, but when I looked at the resistance it seemed hotter than the Phat Cat.
This is why people need to stop looking at DC resistance averages as if they mean anything.

Here's something every single guitar player/modder/builder needs to memorise:

DC resistance tells you nothing about how a pickup will sound.

The SD Hot Stack for Tele is the perfect example. The average DC on one of those is about 20k, yes? That's more than a DiMarzio D Activator-X or EMG 81. Yet in reality it has less output than a Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro, a humbucker measuring just 7.9k.
Meanwhile, check out the seemingly-similar Seymour Duncan Hot Rails for Tele. That's rated at 14.8k; fairly hot, but not the hottest you'll have ever heard of. The Strat version is rated at 17k. Which provies more output? The Tele version. In fact, the Tele Hot Rails, when the coils are wired in series, gives you more output than an EMG 81, DiMarzio D Activator, Seymour Duncan Alternative 8 or Gibson Dirty Fingers.

I'm putting together a Jazzmaster build right now, one with two humbuckers that I've put together myself. The neck pickup reads 10.2k and the bridge pickup reads 10.1k. You'd expect them to be pretty similar in output, yes? Or, if anything, the neck pickup should be more powerful? Well, it's not. The neck pickup has an A8 magnet and was wound with 43 AWG wire while the bridge has a ceramic magnet and was wound with 42 AWG wire. In the end, even though the DC resistance of the two pickups is virtually identical, with the neck just in the lead, the bridge pickup is actually almost twice the power.

Ignore DC resistance. The only statistics that pickup manufacturers give you that are of any value are the magnet type and the resonant peak. From these you can get a vague idea of the tone balance.
What is far more important—and what pickup manufacturers don't often tell you—is the type of wire used, the size of the coil(s), how multiple coils are to be wired together (though of course you can do whatever wiring you want) and the size of the magnet(s) used.

So, let's go back to the SD Hot Lead Stack for Tele. It's 20k, which seems like a lot, but it's using smaller wire so this only the equivalent of about 14k with standard PAF or early Tele construction. Additionally, it is designed to always be wired with the coils parallel, not series; a series humbucker at 20k will be pretty hot no matter what wire you use, but parallel-wired? Less than half the series output. Again in normal Tele or PAF humbucker terms, this leaves you down to the output of about a 7k pickup. If anything, that is a little on the weak side.
Now we look at the magnet. Rather than six magnetic pole pieces, like most Tele pickups have, we're looking at one bar magnet, like humbuckers use. This gives you a much smoother and warmer tone. Because the magnet is installed 'edge up' and close to the top of the pickup, like in a Firebird pickup, this increases the output a little compared to most bar magnet pickups (which have the magnet at the bottom of the pickup) and it adds a little brightness and clarity as the magnet is right under the strings (which is why traditional single coils, with six magnetic pole pieces, have their extra-bright sound).
Have a look at the resonant peak that Seymour Duncan state is the average for this pickup: 6KHz. Now look at the resonant peak of the Phat Cat that you like: 6.3KHz for the neck model and 6KHz for the bridge version. The Phat Cat uses two A2 bar magnets at the bottom of the pickup, giving a warmer tone with less output, but it has one giant coil wound up to 8.5k, giving it a brighter tone (single coil) and more output (overwound). The result is a very tonally balanced pickup with medium output. The Hot Lead Stack for Tele? Same thing. A5 magnet at the top gives more output and a brighter sound while the two slightly mismatched coils wired parallel give a warmer tone and less output, again resulting in a balanced sound. The resonant peak of the Phat Cat is still a tiny bit higher, but the Hot Lead Stack is designed to fit into a Tele and angled, making the tone brighter (and meaning it does need to be a very slightly warmer design, which it is).
In fact the only part where they really differe in use is that, because the magnet is so high on the Hot Lead Stack, you do need to back it down further from the strings than you usually would. That's hardly a big issue.

So, once you learn to ignore DC resistances—which the internet, for some reason, puts so much emphasis on—and start to look at the other, much more important aspects of a pickup, you can start to see how to match pickups much more easily.

By all means, skip over the Hot Lead Stack—you may well find that just by virtue of being angled it doesn't suit you and routing the guitar for a full-sized humbucker really is the only way you'll be happy—but if there is one thing you can take away from all this with certainty, please let it be that DC resistance is irrelevant :icon_thumright:

Back