Taking offers on EMG 81/85 set

AprioriMark

I'm replacing the pickups in my Les Paul, and I won't have any need of these EMG 81 and 85 pickups that are coming out of it.  I have a few other guitars with EMGs that would do the job if I needed that sound.  If anyone's interested, make me offers via pm, or here I guess.

I'm looking for classic-style humbuckers, 2 neck pickups to be specific.  Seth Lover, Gibson 57 classic plus, Duncan 59, etc.  I also won't scoff at neck offers.

-Mark

I have no idea, since I haven't taken them out yet, I'm just feeling around for any interest.  I'd assume they're not quick connect since I've had the guitar a couple years, and it came to me with them.  I'll include anything EMG-specific that's inside the guitar.  I'll snap a pic of the control cavity here in a minute and add that to this post.

-Mark
img00266201106222300.jpg

img00263201106222255.jpg

By the looks of the photo they are the old soldered style of pickup..

Is there a difference between the old EMG style with the leads exiting from epoxy and the current style with the Molex connectors?

I was told they're the same pickups with the connector added for the newer versions.  I've never understood why everyone didn't do that with replacement pickups.  I looked, and they're the older models withOUT the quick connect.  I do have a guy locally offering me my choice of several sets of more vintage sounding PAF style pickups, so these may be gone shortly.  He's coming over on Saturday with some 57s, some burstbuckers and some Seth Lovers to try out.

-Mark

AprioriMark said:
I've never understood why everyone didn't do that with replacement pickups.

Because there is no advantage to it, and from an engineering perspective, soldered connections are preferable. (Though in practice, it really makes no difference. :blob7:)
I never really understood the appeal of the Molex connectors on pickups. If there are a decent selection of pickups out there with the connector, then it makes it really easy and convenient to swap pickups, but the reality of it is, only a handful of pickups out there, and almost all being EMG's offerings, have the connector.

Conversely, it's really easy to add a Molex connector to a regular hard-wired pickup, though the effort it takes to do so negates the advantage of being able to swap pickups without doing any soldering. :dontknow:

Back