Superstrat refinish

But the cat came back
the very next day
The cat came back
we thought he was a goner
But the cat came back
it just couldn't stay away

Here it is all back together, very happy with the new look. Getting a shot that shows the grain and reflection is almost impossible it seems, might have to get out my giant light kit at some point. I don't have a baritone in my collection which is something I will start saving up for next year. I think a lemon drop finish with chrome hardware might look good. This time around I will try out the samples of stain on a test piece of wood and I'll also consider a "primer" coat first, that seems to hep make the finish a lot smoother.

XYZk9rq.jpg

nHsUHxZ.jpg

GuHlbx2.jpg

t78DEzZ.jpg

nF2Mt8y.jpg

Well, it appears you fell in a cesspool and came out with a new suit. Very nicely done!

How do you like that vibrato? It seems everybody either loves or hates them; no bell to the curve. Looks very much like a Kahler, which recent experience has left me with good impressions of.

Cagey said:
Well, it appears you fell in a cesspool and came out with a new suit. Very nicely done!

How do you like that vibrato? It seems everybody either loves or hates them; no bell to the curve. Looks very much like a Kahler, which recent experience has left me with good impressions of.

I really like that trem. My first 2 guitars had floyds in them and I hated those things. This one rarely causes strings to break, I don't need a wrench to change strings and it mounts flat so I don't have to remove a chunk of wood. You do get used to them as they have a different feel to them.

Good to hear. I wouldn't go so far as to say I hate Floyds - I mean, they do work after all, which is more than you can say about most trems - but they can certainly try your patience. Are you getting a good return to neutral with that unit, or do you have to tap/pull it to make it center back up?

If you go nuts with it ala Hendrix you do have to pull up on it, but generally it goes back in tune quite well.

On the face of it, it seems kind of odd that most everyone with a big enough pile of home-rolleds ends up with at least one reddish-brown or brownish-red guitar:

But then, you can start to delve into the mysteries of color mixing with either a color wheel or just a bunch of little bottles of different color dyes (or inks... or RIT - your Easter eggs, orange soda, tie-dye T-shirts, fountain pens, and guitars are all feeding at the same basic aniline-dye trough. Give or take a few preservatives & other deadly poisons :toothy11:) And what you find is that as you move towards the center of the color wheel mix-wise, every combination is eventually leading you towards either... reddish-brown, or... greeny-gray mud.

You can even get some jollies on a computer going to: control panel->display->background and open the custom color doohickey - you can specify numeric blends, or just mouse around a bit.

I got so tired of photobucket emailing me about hosting photos on their site. Hopefully these are ok on Imgur.

Hey great recovery from the shoe polish incident.

Refinishing is always full of surprises.

If it's any consolation I started with the last photo before reading the back story, didn't spot any of the polish in the body, just looked like a nice complex grain / finish job/ Has a nice natural Mahogany hue to it.

I too have seen people use leather polish so I'm surprised it had this adverse affect, it's something I've considered myself even.

Whenever I need to strip anything out of wood now, my go to is Acetone. There's very little that won't remove.

Nice recovery from a bad place. Been there. And the best part is you learned a lot. Learning is never bad. Your next one will be even better. :headbang:

Back