Suggestions for smoothing out the fuzzy wood fibers in pickup/cavity routes?

electric__steve

Best idea I have is sandpaper on the edge of a 1x2?    Not sure I can get in to the sides of a humbucker route that easily though.

I would suggest that instead of the 1x2, get something more like a popsicle stick or a cut down paint stirring stick. It doesn't take a lot of pressure on the sandpaper to do the job, so you don't need something super thick. Good luck on the project............. :icon_thumright:

Some folks are particular, and there's nothing at all wrong with that.  I've found when building things for others, it's best to be more particular than they would be.  :)

A good ol’ fashioned pink pearl wedge eraser makes a good small sanding block with three different size surfaces. It’s what some of us use for wet-sanding between frets. Decades ago they use to make polishing eraser in the same parallelogram shape.

If you can describe what you want to achieve, maybe we can give some ideas of how to get there.

Revlon (or other brand) emery boards for sanding fingernails. Like a Popsicle stick with grit already attached in two grits, one per side. They are great for small sanding areas.

It's like this... I'm finishing finishing the body, and the cavities are the worst looking part of the thing.  And it's mostly the bottom, which is even the part that won't ever be seen unless you're talking the instrument apart.  And that's why I'm thinking 1x2, for the flat surface on the bottom, not the sides of the cavity.

But still, it could be better than it is.

electric__steve said:
It's like this... I'm finishing finishing the body, and the cavities are the worst looking part of the thing.  And it's mostly the bottom, which is even the part that won't ever be seen unless you're talking the instrument apart.  And that's why I'm thinking 1x2, for the flat surface on the bottom, not the sides of the cavity.

But still, it could be better than it is.
How bout cutting an appropriate sized hunk from a sanding sponge and using that for the bottoms?

Back