String Stretch at the Headstock

Bagman67 said:
...I will stand on the side of the line that says "use locking tuners and a well cut graphite nut, or a roller nut."

Perzactly. Don't bandage the symptoms; prevent the problem's existence.

Much as I dislike floyds... it's not really a bandaid, more like an appendectomy. Remove the problem entirely rather than attempt to minimize the problem with super fine precision craftsmanship.

swarfrat said:
Much as I dislike floyds... it's not really a bandaid, more like an appendectomy. Remove the problem entirely rather than attempt to minimize the problem with super fine precision craftsmanship.

25 years ago, I would have agreed with that. Today, I prefer precision craftsmanship. It's not out of reach by any stretch of the imagination. It's simply a work ethic combined with an understanding of the problem. There's little or no money involved, discounting time. Of course, time is money and vice-versa, but proper design/construction/implementation is always simpler than gimcrackery and is bound to last longer.

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
I'm assuming it's a Floyd like nut that doesn't attach to the neck.  It just buts up to the nut and is floating on the strings.  In other words, he invented a locking nut that isn't a nut.

See, I thought from the fact that he says that the fine tuners go on the back of the guitar and they have only developed them so far for guitars with Bigsbys or jazz guitars with that kind of bridge that it somehow is at the other end by the bridge, not the nut. Why would it matter if you had a Bigsby or a jazz style bridge if it's at the nut?

Shadowhand said:
Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
I'm assuming it's a Floyd like nut that doesn't attach to the neck.  It just buts up to the nut and is floating on the strings.  In other words, he invented a locking nut that isn't a nut.

See, I thought from the fact that he says that the fine tuners go on the back of the guitar and they have only developed them so far for guitars with Bigsbys or jazz guitars with that kind of bridge that it somehow is at the other end by the bridge, not the nut. Why would it matter if you had a Bigsby or a jazz style bridge if it's at the nut?

He never shows the device he's selling, so I can only speculate.  The emphasis is on the movement over the nut, and whatever he's selling locks it there or near there.  Once done, tuning is done with the fine tuners on the opposite end.  I guess it doesn't matter which fine tuners one uses, but apparently he wants to sell you those too, or he would've mentioned his system works with any bridge end fine tuners.

I'd have to review it all again, but I suspect it has to do with the the thingy being a locking nut, necessitating fine tuners at the bridge the way you need them for Floyds to work. You tune them up, lock them down, then the fine tuners are used to deal with string stretch.

Back