string ferrule tips

while talking about tips,

what is the best way to get the tele side cup to stick? I covered it with a wooden block and hit it with a hammer a couple of times, but I don't want to hit it too hard..

This is what I use:

ES1C.jpg

:evil4:

Markoooooo said:

what is the best way to get the tele side cup to stick? I covered it with a wooden block and hit it with a hammer a couple of times, but I don't want to hit it too hard..
I haven't done mine yet, because I'm planning on getting a more les-paul like jack, but I've read that you need to press it in with a... press. I don't remember how to get the tab in there, though

Markoooooo said:

I routed out some wood in the cavity where the cup goes, therefore voiding my warranty  :evil4: but hey, it worked!

For ferrules I did mayfly's trick and it helped a little but I still had to take a hammer and beat them in there.  Probably not the safest route to take for my guitar though... :laughing7:  (Dont worry I took a few precautions first.)

mayfly said:
This is what I use:

ES1C.jpg

:evil4:
+100 for the Electrosocket jack.  Even with the proper tool to mount a conventional Tele jack, its like a sick goldfish.  No matter what you do it's going belly up sooner or later.

If you dead set on ferrules then good luck. Even with a drill press and patients mine came out...Well lets just say my ferrule job was not good. That being said I found this option much more to my taste...http://www.taipantone.com/pages/ferrel%20block.html

i just watched a how to video.  The guy said that the way fender does it is by heating them up with a soldering iron.  so you would put in the string ferrule and then press in the center of it with a hot soldering iron.  eventually it will melt the paint and create a seal.. Personally this freaks me out a little, but I watched him do it quite fast with all six and they popped right in.. he followed up with a damp rag to cool the paint surrounding the hole. 

good luck

Back