Strat culture shock

Cederick said:
If for example Eric Johnsson lend out his guitar to somebody using his amp and playing the same thing as he does, it would sound the same.

I really DON'T belive in that stuff people say about that the sound is in your hands and shite like that.

While the frets take the finger largely out of the equation, you still have to consider factors like vibrato technique, fretting pressure, picking style and technique..  those kind of details are what really differentiate the best players from the rest, IMO

I'm not the most amazing player but I have a pretty distinctive sound because I play with my fingernails.. both in the typical fingerstyle technique and also using my index fingernail like it was a pick, which makes the downstrokes sound very different from upstrokes due to the curvature of the nail. 

I only had a strat from 1996 until a year and change ago.  I still play the strat about 66.7% of the time and the HH VIP 33.3% of the time.
Strat is my go-to because it's what I learned on and what my hands are immediately used to playing.  Teles feel close but the body shape isn't my cup of tea (and the headstock looks like crap).

Bagman67 said:
Well, Cederick, I think if a player goes to the effort to learn to reproduce someone else's solo or rhythm part precisely as-recorded, and also lines up identical gear to what was used on the recorded version, you're probably correct.  Guthrie Govan gets some mileage out of mimicking other guitarists that way, and it's a real crowd-pleaser.  Eric Johnson can make himself sound pretty much exactly like Jerry Reed, or Chet Atkins. 

But there are accomplished players who by their own admission can't swing it.  When Joe Satriani was playing guitar in Mick Jagger's band, I read an interview with him where he said that he never would have gotten the job if he'd been required to play it like Keef did.  Fortunately Mick hired another guitarist to play the as-recorded Rolling Stones riffs, and encouraged Satriani to play things in his own idiosyncratic way.  I kinda wish I had seen Jagger on that tour.

Exactly... I don't say it's super easy to sound like somebody else (especially some very unique guitarists) but as long as you play the same stuff in the same way you just need the same gear and it sounds just like the orignal...

And I'm also not saying that is what playing guitar is about  :doh:

I have a playing style that I don't think is very hard to replicate, since I don't do many complicated stuff but I still sound "like myself"... But the sound would change if I used other gear, but not the playing style, it's two different things

Back