Strat body with pickup top route "Univeral cut"

namklak

Y'all,
Why WOULDN'T I get a pickup top route "Universal Cut"?  Or put another way, what are the disadvantages to this cut?  I'm looking at a new #1, retiring my old 3-bolt standard strat to #2.  And I'm thinking of a pickup config of H-S-S.  But what if later I want H-S-H, or even H-H. 
So again, what are the negatives of a univeral pickup route?
Thanks,
-Bob

Personally, I'd say "none". I've got a universal route on my tele deluxe so I can hold two humbuckers and a single coil.

Never had one like this, but people usually fears that the route take away some sustain... I think it's a good idea if you're someone who knows you will mess around with the pickups, if you know you will get it SSS, HSH, HSS forever, why do it ? ? ?

:icon_scratch: the disadvantages of getting the "universal cut" is crystal clear to me . . . if your wife or girlfriend found out !

you'd never be able to justify having 1 s/s/s
                                                    1 h/h
                                                    1 h/s
                                                    1 s/h
                                                    1 s/s
                                                    1 h/h/h
                                                    1 h
                                                    1 s

having more than one guitar is a good thing , now don't ever ask this question again ! or you'll deserve possessing a one guitar "collection" !

:tard:

kreig said:
  :icon_scratch: the disadvantages of getting the "universal cut" is crystal clear to me . . . if your wife or girlfriend found out !

you'd never be able to justify having 1 s/s/s
                                                    1 h/h
                                                    1 h/s
                                                    1 s/h
                                                    1 s/s
                                                    1 h/h/h
                                                    1 h
                                                    1 s

having more than one guitar is a good thing , now don't ever ask this question again ! or you'll deserve possessing a one guitar "collection" !

:tard:

sure you do!

'honey, HOW THE HECK do you expect me to change pickups, mid-flight in a solo?!'

well, my girlfriend is a great woman; the digs my guitars, she digs my music, and she digs ME! what can I ask for? (except for more guitars?)

Orpheo said:
well, my girlfriend is a great woman; the digs my guitars, she digs my music, and she digs ME! what can I ask for? (except for more guitars?)

:icon_thumright:

I just put together a strat and i wish i would have gottent the uni route.  I have 3 dimarzio dual blade pickups in there now that i love, but i'l like to mess around with the pickups sometime also, guess i'll have to just tell my wife i need another one!!!!!!

I personally dont like the idea of a single massive chunk of wood missing from my guitar, id go H-S-H that covers tons of pup options all of them really minus H-H-H.

stratplayer1 said:
I personally dont like the idea of a single massive chunk of wood missing from my guitar, id go H-S-H that covers tons of pup options all of them really minus H-H-H.

i agree.
swimming pool routes always gave me a "cheap ass squier" kind of vibe.

H-S-H will not accommodate SSS, guys - the strat rout is wider at the top. If you TAKE a SSS-routed guitar and tell W to turn it into HSH, you could get just about everything you want. Or, you could go universal - S - universal, for a slightly larger chunk of wood taken out.

I don't get how "tone chambers" can be good and universal routes can be bad. Call it a "swimming pool tone chamber" and fool the critics... I apparently don't understand anything anything at all about tone or sustain, based on advertisements and the "experts" in guitar mags.

Back