still hoping for info on old Warmoth bass

Tony Raven

The original thread:
http://unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=21575.msg319270#msg319270

My research continues, but for every bit of info I gather, I get three new questions. Here's where I'm at:

A few months back, I spotted an eBay listing for a bass with an exact twin to this neck. From the serial numbers on the CTS pots, the seller dated his at 1979/1980... which sorta explains why that neck doesn't appear on archives of Warmoth.com, the oldest saved page being 17 Jan 1999.

So, though memory is dim, 1980 was a heady & historically confusing era. Jim Warmoth was (just previously?) with Boogie Bodies (Puyallup). Boogie had been making some great guitars for high-end players (EVH, Clapton, Charlton), also components for Wayne Charvel & parts sold through Mighty Mite. (The Charvel company was sold to Grover Jackson in 1978).

The "Warmoth" name doesn't appear anywhere on my bass except for a sticker on the inside of the cavity cover. The "funky turtle" logos are rubberstamp, & there's no "licensed" statement. At a raw guess, I'd say this was partially due to transitioning from "Boogie" to "Warmoth" -- the turtle logo was used under both brands.

Which all leads to some questions:
(1) is there a page somewhere with the history/evolution of Warmoth, however brief? The Wikipedia entry is barely a stub.
(2) was Warmoth selling complete guitars back in 1980?
(3) does anyone have old (paper) Warmoth catalogues lying around that they'd consider selling?
(4) having figured out how the knobs change the tone, I'd still like to figure out what their "names" are, what they're intended to be doing.

Still loving this unique bass, with one moderately big caveat: the neck remains dead flat. Even with five strings, that big wide neck is more than adequate, so putting in TWO stiffener bars is notable overkill. I've left the trussrod about 1/4 turn from loose, for months, yet no curve has appeared at all. Next step will be to put it in a gentle heat press for a while.

Hey I am not much help here and i do not know about those knobs, but you mentioned the circuit board  for the knobs in the last post. Not sure if you figured it out but I would be at least 90% positive the circuit board is made by EMG seeing as they send them with all their pickups and that is what you have installed. If the wiring to the pots is solder-less than I am 100% certain and that would mean they were installed within the last few years and you could contact EMG and they could tell you exactly what that knob set-up is for. They are usually very good with customer support.

Back