stereo hifi tube amp

JTM

Hi Guys,

I realise it is slightly off topic but to any of you know where I could buy a small affordable hifi tube amp ?
I think almost all hifi tube amps on the market are hugely overpriced because of all the hype an even the companies that sell the supposedly "affordable ones" are mostly a rip off.
Anyone know where I could find a simple, lowish power, 2 input, 1 volume, 1 or 2 eq amp under 500$ ? I mean you can find a guitar tube head for that price so to me there is really no justification to pay more than that ( ok guitar amps are "low-fi" but the circuits aren't that different )

You may be kinda SOL on that one... You may still be able to find some Chinese knock-offs of older "classic" stereo tube circuits in the 12 - 20 w/channel range for under $500. You missed the Golden Opportunity; a while back a number of Chinese mfgrs. were first putting out rehashes of McIntosh and other classic designs for $300-400; once they got some rep they started upping the prices to be competitive with high end US gear.

What were you planning on using the amp for?

Ya know.... if you do a class A amp with little in the way of eq (ie, eq only via limitation of the coupling between stages), then you're about 95 percent onto "hi fi".

http://tubesandmore.com  has such a kit, for not much money.  You have to arrange your own cabinet.  Output is a few watts per channel.  Its line level in, but... phono level input would be easily had, since tubes are such high impedance inputs.  That is, they have to "add" stuff to made it line level, and running right into the tube is "phono" level. 

Let me also elaborate, that a pair of Tweed 5e3 chassis, run into hi-fi speakers... given the right output transformer (which is most of the hi fi anyway) is another way to go.

Using the hifi quality single ended Hammond xformers, and adding a small capacitor for "bright" control is all you really need.  The response of the amp is more or less flat down to pretty low frequencies (40-50cycles at least)... all the way up to supersonic.

Thanks for the answers !

Jack, I just want something I can plug my computer in ( it's a mac and the line output is pretty decent ). I listen to most of my music from there and a bit of warmth from a decent tube amp would go a long way.
I also want to run a digitech gsp 1101 into it.
Octavian, that looks pretty good, thanks !

CB, could you elaborate a little ? How much work would that be ? Any schematics available ? I've got some experience with electronics ( non tube though ) but I haven't got much time left between work, building guitars and playing :)

-CB- said:
That is, they have to "add" stuff to made it line level, and running right into the tube is "phono" level. 

Unless you're kicking it with a ceramic cartridge, I think you've got it wrong way around. The signal from a magnetic cartridge is way lower than line level; 5 millivolts is about average. Also, phono preamps, in addition to boosting the signal to line levels, include RIAA de-emphasis equalization, which compensates for the shortcomings of the medium.

You could always build your own.  (or have them build it for you - for a price)

I did.....  http://wduk.worldomain.net/acatalog/AmpKits.html
That said, they are a UK company, and I'm in the UK.
Dunno if they ship worldwide, but you can only ask.  Good forum too......

The kits that they sell are rated seriously highly and compare well to some really expensive 'big name' brands you can buy in the shops.
I'm doubting the numbers would stack up that well to your budget.

Ahhhhh....Hang on a mo....I've had a brainwave.  :sign13:  There's a pro-audio comapny called FatMan (owned and run by TL audio) they make high end recording kit like compressors etc.  A little while back they released some valve i-pod amps
http://www.fat-man.co.uk/docs/product/itube_1.htm

These are reaaaaly cool looking and sound great.  I think they'd come in around your budget.  They have an i-pod cradle, but they also have an 'Aux' input which will take anything on phono/RCA connectors such as a computer CD player etc.  They come in various 'sizes' depending on your needs and budget, and they have the coolest logo in the world (coming from me who is a Fat man    :icon_thumright:  )
They do have worldwide distribution, but I'm sure you'll be able to find them if you shop around.

Check 'em out

neilium said:
-CB- said:
That is, they have to "add" stuff to made it line level, and running right into the tube is "phono" level. 

Unless you're kicking it with a ceramic cartridge, I think you've got it wrong way around. The signal from a magnetic cartridge is way lower than line level; 5 millivolts is about average. Also, phono preamps, in addition to boosting the signal to line levels, include RIAA de-emphasis equalization, which compensates for the shortcomings of the medium.

No actually I think you misunderstood.  For a line level to be put into a tube's grid, it must be padded a bit - adding parts to the design.  For phono level, its so low, that no extra parts are needed, and they can run it right into the tubes grid (with grid reference resistor of say 10mohms or so).  You're correct, and what I said is too.

Thanks jimh !
I'm actually in the UK too. The kits look a bit expensive but the fatman ipod amps sure look good !

:) Yes I live in London. French native but I've been working here for a few years.
We should organise a UK Warmoth gathering where people would bring their guitars for others to check out ;-)

My Friends are in a Jazz band, and they are playing on Saturday night in Kingston if you fancy it?
Ted, another one of the UK few is hopefully coming.

PM me for details if you wanna come.

Just FYI........

Amazon.co.uk are doing the FatMan I-tube for £199.00
If you were still interested.......
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fatman-iTube-Valve-Docking-station/dp/B000XXR5IE/ref=sr_1_20?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1208530493&sr=1-20

Jim

Back