Steel Wool + 9 Volt Battery + a 12 year old boy =

Vol. Knob

Steel Wool + 9 Volt Battery + a 12 year old boy = We nearly set the dining room on fire....

So I took him out to the back yard to continue the experiment.  We recorded it...

[youtube=425,350]3QohuuI0bLQ[/youtube]

Avery saw Apocalypse Man, starring Rudy Reyes, and has ever since begged me for steel wool in order to copy the scene where Rudy teaches you how to start a fire without matches.  Today I broke down.  (Rudy Reyes also played himself in Generation Kill, and is a former waiter in the KC area back in the early 90s that all the chicks swooned over, I don't know him personally, but his brother used to crash on my couch.)  Rudy is a Kung Fu master, ex Marine, all around badass ninja, and super nice guy.  Avery, a red belt in karate himself, has adopted Rudy as one of his heros and watches Rudy's workout videos on youtube.  How cool is that, my son's favorite superhero is a REAL superhero who used to serve me lunch.

Another cool, though less practical trick:
Have an extremely clean bottle.
Fill it with distilled water
put it in the freezer
Don't touch it.
After a day or two, take it out
it will be liquid
Smack it
it will freeze.

I remember seeing Les Stroud start a fire for himself on Baffin Island using cast away steel pan scrubbing wool and a 12-volt battery being used for a CB radio on an episode of "Survivorman."  I know he doesn't make the show anymore, but after watching him, and many others on Discovery and the Science Channel, I think there are some of those out there who would agree with the equation of "Stroud > Grylls."

Max said:
Another cool, though less practical trick:
Have an extremely clean bottle.
Fill it with distilled water
put it in the freezer
Don't touch it.
After a day or two, take it out
it will be liquid
Smack it
it will freeze.

Most things need to expand to freeze.  They can't when under pressure.  Sometimes they explode, but beer will usually stay liquid in the freezer until you open it.  Freezes right up.  A college friend was a chemistry major, he blew my mind with some of his labs.  Boiling water without heat and so on.  Explained how glass and ice aren't solids but slow moving liquids.

glass is not, but ice, specifically ice-Ih is a solid, crystalline stable phase.

Budwieser bottles are fun as well.  With just a tad of fluid removed from the standard 12 oz, if you hold the top of the bottle just right and pop it with an open palm, the bottom pops off.  If it is not done just so, there is usually a red ring that shows up on your palm that hurts.  Bar Tenders tend to be the ones that know this trick.  Fun with physics.
Patrick

Patrick from Davis said:
Budwieser bottles are fun as well.  With just a tad of fluid removed from the standard 12 oz, if you hold the top of the bottle just right and pop it with an open palm, the bottom pops off.  If it is not done just so, there is usually a red ring that shows up on your palm that hurts.  Bar Tenders tend to be the ones that know this trick.  Fun with physics.
Patrick

that usually just causes the beer to foam up and spill over the top. if you use watter or the bear is very flat the bottom will break out. if the beer is cold it may just freeze.

Nightclub Dwight said:
Graffiti62 said:
"Stroud > Grylls."

+1

Les Stroud is the real deal.  Bear Grylls sleeps in hotel rooms when the camera is not filming him on his so-called roughing it expeditions.

yep, i agree for the simple fact that stroud teaches you to survive and grylls teaches you to die. really stroud teaches safety and smart survival, and grylls likes to show off in unlikely scenarios that normal people wouldn't have a chance surviving as if to boost his ego. i understand some of the physical stuff and he shows techniques for those life/death short term situations but the things he does and sometimes eats or drinks can kill you. strouds aproach of conserving energy, eating safe foods and being safe is more likely to be useful in the wild over a period of days. grylls antics are last ditch efforts for a certain death situation.

Back