Starting a new Jazzcaster project...

rickoss

Bit the bullet today and put in a Warmoth order for my new project...  :blob7:

So, I have a Warmoth neck I bought a long time ago for a project I never finished - a reverse telecaster pau ferro neck - and recently started thinking about resurrecting it! Went for a chambered Jazzcaster body (Wenge laminate on Korina), gone for a clear satin finish as I'm a big fan of championing the grain!

My original plan was to have a tapped Little '59 in the bridge and Bare Knuckle Brown Sugar in the neck, but I may alter that to a straight Brown Sugar set. Mixing single coils and humbuckers seems to be a bit of a minefield - I don't want to waste a great pickup by matching it to ill-fitting pots!

The other issue I have to deal with is that when fixing the tuning pegs to the neck, two of the screwheads broke off.  :-\ Any damage should be hidden by the tuners, but it's always a little heartbreaking when you make silly mistakes like this! Think I'll have to drill a pilot next the screws, prise them out and use filler as there's not enough of the screws protruding to get a hold of them with anything.

Very excited for my order to come though!

Sounds like it'll be a fun build. Post photos when you can.

Rather than using filler on the tuner screw holes, You might want to glue a piece of hardwood dowel in them then drill the pilot holes.

Rgand said:
Sounds like it'll be a fun build. Post photos when you can.

Rather than using filler on the tuner screw holes, You might want to glue a piece of hardwood dowel in them then drill the pilot holes.

Thanks for the advice, that will work loads better!  :icon_thumright:

Wenge Lam on Korina, I look forward to seeing a picture of that! Bummer about the tuner screws, they can be treacherous... Proper pilot holes and wax on the threads!

-VB- said:
Wenge Lam on Korina, I look forward to seeing a picture of that! Bummer about the tuner screws, they can be treacherous... Proper pilot holes and wax on the threads!

Yeah, my pilots were a little too small and the neck wood is really dense... you live and learn I guess! Just glad it's a mistake that will be hidden by the time its finished!

rickoss said:
Yeah, my pilots were a little too small and the neck wood is really dense... you live and learn I guess! Just glad it's a mistake that will be hidden by the time its finished!

Yeah, I learned that one the hard way too. Good luck with the extraction!

Get some Hipshot UMP's and you don't have to worry about pilot holes.

nb7dhp3q5d0ntvdhadaw.png

Back