Standard thin Telecaster neck taper?

Gilmore

Hi

I got this Warmoth Tele neck in standard thin profile I bought from the Showcase over a year ago. It has 10 - 16" compund radius.

The back of the neck taper on it feels a little bit odd. It starts fairly thick and tapers down to very thin at the 12th fret. When the neck is straight in the middle it has a little relief from about 9th - 15th fret. I think it´s because the neck is a lot weaker in that area then at the nut.

Also the neck is very "flexable". then I mean I can almost use it as a wammy bar and dive bomb by bending the neck in both directions, again I think that is because it is so thin at the higher frets.

Is it normal for the standard thin necks to taper like this or did I get a bad one?

Mine don't do that, and I have a bunch of Standard Thins.

Might be worth it to put a caliper on it every second or third fret up and down the neck (except at the heel, of course) and see if you can plot the variation you feel. I don't know what you're used to, but it's possible this one feels strange relative to the other(s) even though it's actually properly profiled for that style.

They give the specs for the various contours here, if you want some reference material.

It´s the Vintage Modern construction.

I used Stewmac´s notched and regular straightedges to check the neck, and there is a substancial bow in the neck from 9th to the heel.

I put a shim in the neck pocket and it plays alot better, but still when I play and shake the guitar a little, the pitch wobbles, but it stays in tune pretty well.

I have many guitars and do all work on them myself, and this is the only one I´ve had trouble with. Could it be that they put odd neck in the Showcase? I think I won´t be happy with this guitar until I order another neck using the custom builder. This neck is way too weak.

If you're concerned about the neck construction, please contact Warmoth directly.  You can email Rob, the sales manager, at rob@warmoth.com.  It may be necessary to send the neck in for inspection if it is still under warranty.  (Warranty on Warmoth finished necks is 2 years.)

Back