Standard Gloss Black Finish - Easiest Way (No Spray Setup)

Zhenglaw

Hi guys,

I am finishing up a project (its my first one) and really looking to make a strat copy almost to Suhr Mateus Asato Black and Gold with little twist, therefore requiring a standard gloss black finish.

What would be the best way to do it rather than buying cans and cans of lacquer (as im not setup for spray), or spray on poly, is there any alternative possible to achieve a gloss black finish?

I have yet to decide on body wood but will definitely be either roasted alder/roasted swamp ash.

Alternative in mind (but not sure if viable), please recommend:

Alder body >India Ink > Tru oil > buff to shine
Swamp Ash > Ebody Wood filler > Keda Black Dye > Tru oil/Shellac
Alder Body > Tint Shellac with Keda Black Dye (Powder form)

Thank you pros!

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 305
A true gloss black finish is very hard to achieve even with the correct materials and tools. I would encourage you to have Warmoth do the finish for you as you will get a mirror black finish that will be very difficult to pull off on your own.

Hmmm - is gloss white any easier to pull off? That could tip my decision the other way on my projects.

I’m thinking - much like Tonar - that the best, and cheapest way to achieve this, is to have Warmoth do it for you.

Add my vote to the pile of "Let Warmoth Do It" votes.  If you don't already have some experience in finishing, a glassy black finish is  not a good first choice.  You WILL screw it up several different ways if it's your first try.

That said, you can get some mileage out of india ink applied directly to the wood, and then wipe-on poly for days and days, which you can then let cure for a week or so, and then finally wet-sand through the grits to 2000 or so, then buff with an appropriate schedule of compounds. 

But if you want to simplify your life, here are all the alder strat bodies pre-finished in black, starting at $295.

http://www.warmoth.com/Pages/ClassicShowcase.aspx?Body=2&Shape=1&Type=1&Path=Stratocaster,Standard&core=1&bFinish=378

Warmoth's paint dept is among the best in the business and having worked there a decade ago, I can assure you, for the $$ you spend, you get top notch value & quality.  You would be hard pressed to achieve the same results yourself or for less $$.

Dunno about the OP, but in my case both bodies are from this side of the Mississipi River (actually same side of the Pee Dee river - one is homemade, the other from elsewhere in NC).

IMO the reason for doing the finish yourself is because you like doing finishes, or you want something that isn't offered by W.  For a straight black, I would definitely go w/ Warmoth's paint department.  Unless you want a lower quality finish that will age (i.e. get banged up) quickly...

TZ

In fairness, if your longer term goal is a relic-looking finish, DIY lacquer will get you there pretty quick.

I'll also pile on for the Warmoth finish dept. Those guys are very good at what they do, and they use high-quality materials that result in a very attractive and durable finish. For what they charge, it's a no-brainer. To get the same results yourself, you'd have to be willing to spend about $80-$100 on supplies and materials, and work for about 50 cents an hour. It's just not worth it.

As has been pointed out, the only reason to finish it yourself is if you already have a naked body and have no choice, or you want a color/scheme that Warmoth doesn't offer. Or, if you simply must have lacquer, which they don't do due to its labor-intensive nature.

Back