SRV Tone

TJD

Ok so I had a revelation the other day. Some of you are going to say "No kidding Moron" to me but bear with me. Like many of you I'm always striving to get that hollow, woody SRV lead tone. I've had many a TS and OD and had ok success. I figured a different amp, better Od etc would be the trick. But I was wrong...dead wrong. I caught one of those Steviesnacks.com video's on youtube playing texas flood and after doing a little research into what he uses I noticed he has older Boss PQ4 pedals. Discontinued so I tried a while to find them used but they're rare. So I picked up an MXR 6 band graphic EQ. Wanted the 10 band and it's probably better but you need to run it @ 18volts. Let me tell you this is THE KEY to getting his tone at least close to it. All you need is a Fender sounding clean (tube amp) channel. After some tweaking of the EQ you may not even NEED to tube screamer..I'm not kidding. Also, the MXR eq provides a powerful clean boost that I wasn't expecting. Try it out you'll see and thank me later! Like I said the 10 band would probably be even more precise and I recommend getting a Parametric vs graphic EQ (knobs vs sliders)..they are more adjustable. I lust after the Empress Para EQ..check it out you'll see what I mean. I never thought an EQ pedal would be sexy enough for my board but there it is. Thanks for listening I feel much better now.

A wise man told me years ago that an EQ was the most important part of a guitar effects chain.  Luckily, I have a parametric EQ already built into my Boss multi effects pedal, which suits it's purpose, and is preset to each individual effect.  If I ever get enough money to put together a full analog board, an EQ would be the first thing to get. :icon_thumright:

I totally agree. EQ is the way to get almost anything. I almost always use a 31 band graphic in the channel insert of the mixer when recording guitar tracks.
I also use the 4 band eq with 2 sweepable mids on the channel strip.

read an interview with Mike Soldano (he made SRV an amp just before he died) and SRV specified it to have a mid-cut at 400. I have an MXR 6 band as well, and dump the 400 out. Gives an awesome woody sound. I struggle without it now!

rightintheface said:
read an interview with Mike Soldano (he made SRV an amp just before he died) and SRV specified it to have a mid-cut at 400. I have an MXR 6 band as well, and dump the 400 out. Gives an awesome woody sound. I struggle without it now!

Nice! Didn't know that. I'll try it tonite!

Back