SRV neck contour vs standard?

S

SalsaNChips

I wanted to see if anybody has a neck with the SRV neck contour and what your impressions are as opposed to a standard contour neck. Also the Wolfgang contour which is nearly identical.

I have it on my wenge/bloodwood neck. It feels good to me. My other axe is sporting the 59 Roundback which I think I prefer slightly more, or I'm just used to playing it more because I've had it several years longer.
Either way I prefer them both more than the standard Fender profile I had before.

SalsaNChips said:
I wanted to see if anybody has a neck with the SRV neck contour and what your impressions are as opposed to a standard contour neck. Also the Wolfgang contour which is nearly identical.

i have an srv neck and it feels like a neck that has been sanded a few too many times. the bottom doesn't have a nice radius like it should. it almost has a point where the back contour meets the playing surface. i'd rather get a standard or a 59 round back. i think the wolfgang is likely a better shape for me. it is slightly thinner but if you overlay the contour it has a little more meat exactly where i think it should be. i haven't tried warmoth's wolfgang but the eb/mm axis and evh are of my favorite off the shelf guitars in feel so if they got the contour right i'm sure i'd love it. but if you are unsure a 59 round back or standard are great choices.

I like a lot the Wolfgang it feels very natural to play on, but everybody hands is different and necks are a very personal thing.
Here a couple a did recently, I'm waiting for a body and to save some money to order the second body.

Attachments

• roasted maple back 0.JPG
    293.4 KB · Views: 548
I think it depends on your playing style. I love playing with my thumb on bar chords (like Jimi), and I've got larger hands than normal, so the SRV fits like a glove with it's asymmetrical contour. If you love playing like I do but your hands are smaller then get the Wolfgang (which is what my dad uses. His hands are more palm than finger.) If you're a more standard player with your thumb on the back of the neck with normal size hands, get the standard. Larger hands, plus normal playing get something larger, without a symmetrical contour.

NLD09 -- exactly what I was thinking. I'll confess I ordered my Tele neck with a SRV contour without having actually played a SRV Strat but based entirely on my experience playing a standard Fender neck for years. I have always wished that neck had a little more "meat" to it near the top, for bends, pinched harmonics (Billy Gibbons, etc.) and thumb over the top (Hendrixy) low E string stuff. When I looked at the SRV contour when I ordered my neck I was like "that's it"; it gives a bit more substance for leveraging the fleshy area of the thumb palm, making it better for bluesy type stuff. Which is probably why they call it the "SRV" profile.

I'm gonna stop worrying about it and go back to playing my Strat. The only problem I think I may have it that I like the SRV contour so much I will not want to play a guitar that doesn't have it :)

Back