SRV Contour and Purpleheart

Suds

Hey everybody,

Does anyone know if the SRV back contour Warmoth offers is the same as the contour on the Fender SRV Strat?

And any info on Purpleheart would be much appreciated.  Is it actually very purple or slight purple? and pros and cons.

Thanks,

Suds  :blob7:

howdy,

I've been told that the Warmoth SRV contour matches the Fender SRV strat very closely but I've never had both at the same time to do a direct comparison. If it's not identical I'm sure it's probably close. No idea about the purpleheart though. Cheers

-adam

i happen to have a purple heart SRV neck

i haven't played a fender srv strat so i don't know if they're the same.
i honestly don't like it. it just feels like a neck that has been sanded too much on the treble side, which is what stevies guitar essential was after years of wear and several fret jobs and re-finishings. but if you like the fender version i'll bet you'll like the warmoth.

and for the wood, it's not too bright, but never muddy or overly warm. lots of lows. very clear and clean sounding. and i didn't notice it until it was said on the forum but it has a certain bell like quality too the bass strings. and the fact that the wood is purple is really crazy. i can't believe just how purple the neck is.

I have played the Fender version and I own the Warmoth version. The Warmoth version is very close. The Fender version struck me as being a little wider, and by that I mean a miniscule amount. It may have been just the way I was feeling the day I walked into that music store, dunno.

I can tell you that the Warmoth version is great! In fact I have two I liked it so much. The meat is in just the right place to be comfortable, and for your hand to get purchase on the neck and really work it. If you like the ones in the store you will very most likely be very pleased with the Warmoth neck.

Do you live near anyone who may have one?

-TT-

Well I have a Fender SRV Strat and I love the neck contour so as long as its close I think I will like it.  My other consideration was the 59 Roundback which I have never heard of before Warmoth and music stores they don't know what I'm talking about and any info on that would be great education for me....

Thanks again

Suds

59 round back is almost exactly the same dimension as PRS "wide fat" found on McCarty and some other models. I'm sure there are lots of other guitars that have similar profiles, but those are definitely close. I've got one in progress.

If it were my guitar I would choose the '59 Roundback, The SRV countours just seems a little lopsided to me. If you do go this route and play the hell out of it you'll eventually wear your own custom contour into he neck though.

Does anyone know if the Fender SRV is asymmetrical?  Because when I play my mine I cannot tell.  Even when I examine very closely.  Does anyone know for sure?  :help:  Or does anyone know of a method of measurement?

Thanks
:blob7:

"Or does anyone know of a method of measurement?"

Measure thickness at thickest point at 1st and 12th frets, if it's different, i.e., thicker @ 12th fret, it's asymmetrical. I'm pretty sure the Fender contour is....

Ah, wouldn't you have to take measurements on the bass and treble sides of the neck, rather than thickest point?
It should be 1-2mm thicker on the bass side by the looks of it, if you measure towards the middle of the contour (1/4 of the way in from each side of the neck). Should be easier to tell higher up the neck where it's thicker. You should be able to feel this though, especially if you can A/B with another guitar, otherwise you'll need some calipers or something I guess

Since it has the extra bulk on the bass side, it feels a little thicker in your palm while giving your fingers a little extra room to wrap around the neck on the treble side. Is how I understand it; it's been quite a while since I played this type of neck.

Oh here's another idea: trace the bottom of a mug (perfect circle) onto a piece of cardboard and cut it out. Make it a half-circle so you can hold it on the back of your neck. You should be able to eyeball it from there, to tell if the contour is symmetrical or not.

Back