Spikey's Warmoth/USA Jackson Mutt gets some new pickups

nhspike

Some of you may remember my introduction post, where I showed off my Warmoth with the Jackson neck I put together.

It had a hotrails in the neck, and an X2N in the bridge, and for quite a while I was happy with the sound.

Then, I began to think there might be something missing, tone-wise.  Was probably just in my head, but the X2N was not working.  Plus, like most of you, I get bored and like to try different pickups until I feel I've got a guitar totally nailed.

To prevent me from typing a novel, let me just say that I didn't think I was getting all the tonal meat out of the mahogany body that I could be getting.

Well, I've converted the pickups to Duncan PATB's, and must say, it seems like a good move. I like the overall balance and response to the volume knob/picking intensity these are giving me.

In addition, I think they look cool... but that's a very subjective thing (my wife thinks they look strange LOL!).

Phone_Pics005-1.jpg

Phone_Pics003-1.jpg

As someone mentioned in the other thread, she'll never quack like a strat, but the combo of neck/bridge pickup is interesting and sounds killer.

Thanks for looking!

SD Parallel Axis pickups work great with Floyd Rose trems.  See how all the polepieces line up with the strings.

Nice axe there spike, how those pups sound. They look cool as shit...

BTW, looks like you're a machinist? Only reason to have both test and dial indicators, and a Kennedy machinist chest. And you have an affliction with license plates.... :dontknow:

Good eye DR6
:D
Yeah, machinist, mold-maker, mold-designer, jack of most of those trades since about 1990.

The pickups sound great. Bridge PATB-1 is semi-hot, but not overheated like the X2N seemed to be.
Nice and responsive, brown sound chunk.
The neck is just a sweet toned, well-matched companion to the bridge.

I think this guitar is done.

Time for another project!

Here's me with my old R1 by the way:
SpikeBike-1.jpg

:)

nhspike said:
Good eye DR6
Yeah, machinist, mold-maker, mold-designer, jack of most of those trades since about 1990.

The pickups sound great. Bridge PATB-1 is semi-hot, but not overheated like the X2N seemed to be.
Nice and responsive, brown sound chunk.
The neck is just a sweet toned, well-matched companion to the bridge.

I think this guitar is done.

Time for another project!

Here's me with my old R1 by the way:
SpikeBike-1.jpg

Very kool spike, that's basically what I do. I'll have to try out the hum...The co. I work for is a plastic inj molding co. I work in the machine shop as a lead machinist. We don't build the molds, but we do have to repair them when they crash or wear out. So I usually have to do a lot of rev. engineering. Nice R1, I have a 2004 R6
2543678892_b315283c30.jpg

Cool!
I work for an injection molding house as well.
Nice R6!
I just really dig Yamaha stuff.
Quality.

nhspike said:
Cool!
I work for an injection molding house as well.
Nice R6!
I just really dig Yamaha stuff.
Quality.
Yip me too, I bleed Yamaha...  You still got the R1?

Nope.
Rode it for a couple of years, and sold it.
Felt lucky that I didn't hurt myself on it to be honest.
Too much power.
Too easy to tickle it and be doing a buck fitty.
Not much time to brake if a deer pops out of the woods up here, if you can dig it.
Looking for a Yamaha Roadstar that I can throw the wife on the back of, and take a slow dependable cruise on these days.
I figure I can find one for around six grand.
That's the goal.
I'll leave the insane bikes to you young fellers.

nhspike said:
Nope.
Rode it for a couple of years, and sold it.
Felt lucky that I didn't hurt myself on it to be honest.
Too much power.
Too easy to tickle it and be doing a buck fitty.
Not much time to brake if a deer pops out of the woods up here, if you can dig it.
Looking for a Yamaha Roadstar that I can throw the wife on the back of, and take a slow dependable cruise on these days.
I figure I can find one for around six grand.
That's the goal.
I'll leave the insane bikes to you young fellers.
Hahaha, "young fellers", that's a good one. If 41 is young, then I must be lucky... :icon_biggrin:

I'm a sportbike guy til the end, I love cruisers to, I also got a 2003 Bourget Low Blow, it's my wifey's bike. But I wouldn't mind having a Yamaha Raider, sweet looking cruiser... :icon_thumright:

What parts are you located in? Must be up north somewhere if you have to worry about deer.  Not a problem here in NE Texas, just cows and cagers...

LOL
Well, ok, I will hit the 45 mark in June, and was still riding the Singer-Sewing-Machines of death at 41... Maybe someday when I have better self control I'll chance another one.

I'm up here in New Hampshire, about an hour north of Boston.

Lotsa deer down in TX too though, right?

nhspike said:
LOL
Well, ok, I will hit the 45 mark in June, and was still riding the Singer-Sewing-Machines of death at 41... Maybe someday when I have better self control I'll chance another one.

I'm up here in New Hampshire, about an hour north of Boston.

Lotsa deer down in TX too though, right?

Nah, not to much deer here, there is down in south Texas. That's where everyone goes deer hunting...

Back