Sperzel Trim-Lok Guitar Machines

WarmothRules

You should offer Sperzel Trim-Lok Guitar Machines. The string posts have graduated heights so a string tree is not needed with these. Also the same key can be set up lefty or righty, and they need  (13/32")-diameter pegholes just like planet waves. Also they are locking.

WarmothRules said:
You should offer Sperzel Trim-Lok Guitar Machines. The string posts have graduated heights so a string tree is not needed with these. Also the same key can be set up lefty or righty, and they need  (13/32")-diameter pegholes just like planet waves. Also they are locking.
We tried repping their product once upon a time but product shipments from them were spotty. We ended up irritating customers while we all played the waiting game together.

I second that suggestion with the following observation: Fender Strat and Tele headstocks appear to be generally 1/2" thick and the tapered Sperzel Trim-Loks work just fine on them.  My Warmoth Strat and Tele necks have headstocks that are 9/16" thick.  The holes for the 1st and 2nd strings are just barely above the mounting nut; however, they will work with the nut sufficiently tightened.  BTW, one worthwhile investment is the Stew-Mac Tuner Pin Drill Jig (#4857), to make sure the tuner pin holes are correctly aligned.  I put Sperzel and Schaller locking tuners on all my Fender and Warmoth guitars and that little drill guide makes it a breeze to install or retrofit them.

You know, not to put Sperzel down or anything, but honestly I had a set that came with a Carvin kit guitar I built, and I found them to be unstable with heavier strings, especially on my 56 gauge E string, I also noticed they developed loose spots where, once the string pulled out of tune, I wasn't able to just bring it up a touch, but had to detune then retune, and sometimes that didn't even work they would still slip, as far as being quick and easy, Yes, they were that and in alot of ways as far as string changes they were very quick, but If the darn things don't hold thier own and keep your strings in check, who cares??????  maybe I had a bad set???  but since I have been using Schaller, I have had no string slippage or tuning issues what so ever?????  .........sorry, but after my experience, the little frills Sperzel offers with graduated post and changeable colored pegs, just don't mean jack too me.  :dontknow:

I use Sperzels and I love them.  But the largest string guage I've been able to squeeze through is a .50.  I usually think tuning stability is a nut problem, but I've never used strings quite that heavy.

Superbeast520 said:
You know, not to put Sperzel down or anything, but honestly I had a set that came with a Carvin kit guitar I built, and I found them to be unstable with heavier strings, especially on my 56 gauge E string, I also noticed they developed loose spots where, once the string pulled out of tune, I wasn't able to just bring it up a touch, but had to detune then retune, and sometimes that didn't even work they would still slip, as far as being quick and easy, Yes, they were that and in alot of ways as far as string changes they were very quick, but If the darn things don't hold thier own and keep your strings in check, who cares??????  maybe I had a bad set???  but since I have been using Schaller, I have had no string slippage or tuning issues what so ever?????  .........sorry, but after my experience, the little frills Sperzel offers with graduated post and changeable colored pegs, just don't mean jack too me.   :dontknow:

My one friend has these on a brian moore guitar and they are flawless.

Yeah, Im thinkin maybe I just got a bad set, because an awfull lot of people seem to like them, it did baffle me how so many people praised them yet my experience wasn't so great, I may give them a try again in the future and see what I think once more, they were really quick for string changes, and I liked how thier system is with just the pin and screw/knob.
They were part of a kit Carvin offered, and they also offered a Wilkinson Trem, but the Trem was an inferior version of Wilkinson, in that it was made of alloy, not like Warmoths version that is made of steel, so maybe it was the same with the Sperzels I got with the kit.........possibly Carvin buy's cheaper bulk stock for thier kits ( which are pretty low priced ) .....that would definantly explain it.???????

Why don't try the Gotoh locking tuners?
This is a think I thing Warmoth could make better: a bigger range of machine heads... Like Gotoh "kluson" models, lockings, etc...

Back