Speaking Of Pagey & White

Superlizard

http://videogames.yahoo.com/events/plugged-in/jack-white-jimmy-page-latest-to-take-pot-shots-at-guitar-hero/1328769

Jack White, Jimmy Page latest to take pot-shots at Guitar Hero

Speaking at a Los Angeles press conference promoting an upcoming documentary, both Jack White and Jimmy Page had harsh words to say about the influence of music games like Guitar Hero and Rock Band on young musicians.
Jimmy Page and Guitar Hero

"It's depressing to have a label come and tell you that Guitar Hero is how kids are learning about music and experiencing music," White said, quoted in British music press stalwart NME. "If you have to be in a video game to get in front of them, that's a little sad."

Led Zeppelin co-founder Jimmy Page chimed in on the subject too, saying he doesn't believe players of games like Guitar Hero are really learning anything about music. "You think of the drum part that John Bonham did on Led Zeppelin's first track on the first album, Good Times Bad Times," he said. "How many drummers in the world can play that part, let alone on Christmas morning?"

Of the pair, we're inclined to put a little more weight behind Page's comments: besides being a bona fide rock god, Page has repeatedly turned down doubtless lucrative offers from music game publishers. White, in contrast, doesn't seem quite as keen to put his money where his mouth is, as The White Stripes were recenty announced to be among the 84-strong list of artists featured in Guitar Hero 5.

James Patrick Page = Da Man, Da Guitar Hero, Da Rock Legend

And yet my brother will be glad to remind me I suck at even beginner on Guitar Hero. I've played twice.

I'll then remind him about those real guitar things.

My my, we're on an agreement streak, SL  :laughing7:

Never have tried Guitar Hero or Rock Band. To me there is too much enjoyment in the real deal.

Agree with both of you on Page... Legendary...

There's nothing wrong with those games. Nobody is sacrificing real practice time in order to play guitar hero, they're just for kids who would otherwise be wasting time on the internet. I've played them before, and they're not nearly half as fun as turning up the amp and jamming along to a favorite song.
Maybe it will inspire some kid to pick up the real thing and become the next slash. The only adult I know who plays those is someone who will never pick up a real instrument anyhow. Page is just being an old fogey.

I gotta say, I don't care for how the guitar is played on those games, but I do enjoy the little drum kits.. I have fun with it.  :dontknow:

Several teachers have told me that they are getting new students who got into guitar because of guitar hero.

If it get's kids interested, it works for me.

But personally I'll never touch the thing  :headbang:

if i had a dollar for every hour that me and my best friend played guitar hero in the summer of 07, i would have enough money to buy the gibson les paul custom 5 times over. we played guitar hero 2 religiously. thats how we learned about gibson guitars, krank amps, and orange amps. we both played guitar (i played bass) but it inspired us to play even MORE and practice MORE. but i dont like what it became to the masses. now everybody and there brothers thinks that they "listen to" and "love" megadeth. PLEASE. they only know one song. so i love and hate guitar hero.

PS it gave us bragging rights to say we 100% hangar 18 on expert  :laughing7:

I don't think GH is any worse than any other dumb video game that is a simulation, like video golf or whatever. It's a waste of time, but people have fun doing it. Lets not badmouth it - we need to keep those game consoles flying off the shelves. It's for the economy. Isn't that what life is all about anyway? Buying stuff? :laughing7:

Sure it's cooler to do the real thing, but the real thing is a lot more expensive and time consuming. And unless you're some kind of gifted freak, it takes a lot of effort and work to get good at it. GH might inspire some kids to try a real guitar. Again, good for the ecomomy. Those that don't get inspired to play, probably wouldn't play in the first place.

Not only that, it's turning kids on to the old classic rock stuff. I bet some of them will seek out some of that older music. Isn't that what all the old fogies who wish we could have frozen time in 1976 or 1984 want? :laughing7:

mayfly said:
Several teachers have told me that they are getting new students who got into guitar because of guitar hero.

If it get's kids interested, it works for me.

But personally I'll never touch the thing  :headbang:

Sooo, if a guitar game inspires kids to pick up a real guitar, does it mean that a shooting game inspires kids to pick up a gun?

Playing guitar is playing guitar.  Playing Guitar Hero is playing a game.  I do know that kids are being exposed to a lot of older, good music they wouldn't otherwise know about.

It's funny, on the first guitar hero, many bands didn't want to be caught dead with that thing, so a band that re-records tracks for karaoke machines played a lot of the songs, not the original artists.  Some of the songs said, "Performed by........." while others had a "Made Famous by...."  They had "integrity."  Funny how popularity and a fat paycheck makes that problem go away.

Markoooooo said:
Sooo, if a guitar game inspires kids to pick up a real guitar, does it mean that a shooting game inspires kids to pick up a gun?

That's interesting food for thought, but part of being a well adjusted person is knowing right and wrong.  If they were going to pick up one or the other, I'd rather an axe than a gun.

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
Markoooooo said:

That's interesting food for thought, but part of being a well adjusted person is knowing right and wrong.  If they were going to pick up one or the other, I'd rather an axe than a gun.

Depends on how sharp the axe is...

oh yea:  :icon_jokercolor:

hehe I was waiting for Doug to write: 'you are saying it as if it is a bad thing!'  :icon_biggrin:

Playing guitar is playing guitar.  Playing Guitar Hero is playing a game.  I do know that kids are being exposed to a lot of older, good music they wouldn't otherwise know about.

It's funny, on the first guitar hero, many bands didn't want to be caught dead with that thing, so a band that re-records tracks for karaoke machines played a lot of the songs, not the original artists.  Some of the songs said, "Performed by........." while others had a "Made Famous by...."  They had "integrity."  Funny how popularity and a fat paycheck makes that problem go away.

the first guitar hero was EXCLUSIVELY covered by the harmonix team, which consisted of marcus henderson on guitar and some REALLY good black guy on bass. all the songs said "Made Famous by....". the second one was the same, minus three songs, one of which was Primus's john the fisherman. that was a master track. the covers weren't played by karaoke people. these musicians are WAY too good (and cool)  :headbang:

smavridis said:
the covers weren't played by karaoke people. these musicians are WAY too good (and cool)  :headbang:

They are good.  Work with me here.  When I say "karaoke" it's because it's a group of relatively anonymous artists rerecording a copyrighted song to a T, just like karaoke versions of songs.  It was not a slam but I think a rather accurate description.

smavridis said:
the covers weren't played by karaoke people. these musicians are WAY too good (and cool)  :headbang:

They are good.  Work with me here.  When I say "karaoke" it's because it's a group of relatively anonymous artists rerecording a copyrighted song to a T, just like karaoke versions of songs.  It was not a slam but I think a rather accurate description.

oh ok  :dontknow:

Back