Speakers for cabinet build

Sadie-f

I'm thinking of building a cabinet with single 12" speaker. I'll go closed back with a panel that can be removed to let it be open as an option.

Question, if you could install any 12" Celestion into a cab / amp, what would you choose? I mostly play on clean amp setting, like a lot of chime, and I'll be driving it both with my hand-built SS amp (2 op-amp stages & 1 transistor stage) and a Milkman 100 tube/FET hybrid.

I'm leaning to a creamback or neo creamback, another strong contender would be the 250W copperback -- more capacity on the speaker side than I have any need for, but I do like the sound of the speaker in samples I've heard.

I guess another possibility would be to build a cabinet for twin 10" spkrs. I can't come up with a compelling reason to favor that over 1 12" as I'l be running at the lower end of the output whatever I choose.

I’ll chime in, not with a specific recommendation, but with two suggestions …
First, check out the many excellent comparison videos from Zilla Cabs on Youtube and second, don’t dismiss Jensen speakers. I put two such ones in my Zilla Fatboy cab, one alnico (that are pretty cheap, at least here in Europe) and one neodymium one. Great mix.

I'm a huge fan of the Eminence GB12.  It's a great speaker for not a lot of money.  Has the chime you speak of.

Sadie-f said:
I'm thinking of building a cabinet with single 12" speaker. I'll go closed back with a panel that can be removed to let it be open as an option.

Question, if you could install any 12" Celestion into a cab / amp, what would you choose? I mostly play on clean amp setting, like a lot of chime, and I'll be driving it both with my hand-built SS amp (2 op-amp stages & 1 transistor stage) and a Milkman 100 tube/FET hybrid.

I'm leaning to a creamback or neo creamback, another strong contender would be the 250W copperback -- more capacity on the speaker side than I have any need for, but I do like the sound of the speaker in samples I've heard.

I guess another possibility would be to build a cabinet for twin 10" spkrs. I can't come up with a compelling reason to favor that over 1 12" as I'l be running at the lower end of the output whatever I choose.

I have some small experience with building cabs. I found that there's no substitute for diameter if you want good bottom end. 10's can do a lot nowadays, but I'd still go with a 12 or 15................. :icon_thumright:

I recently replaced one of the two 1x12s I use with a 1x15.  It is a Weber X-Cab with an Eminence 1518.  I prefer a clean sounding speaker - my 1x12 is a JBL K120.  The Eminence supposedly is similar to a JBL K-130.    I love how it sounds.  The lows are wonderfully clear and articulate, better than I’ve ever obtained from a 12” speaker.  The Weber cab has a removable panel like the OP described.  So far, I’m preferring it as an open back.  It’s also relatively lightweight, employing 1/2” Birch plywood rather than the usual 3/4”.

Bill, tgo

I built a 2x12 last year and put a pair of Celestion Alnico Creams in there… they were pricey but damn that cab sounds good!

Logrinn said:
I’ll chime in, not with a specific recommendation, but with two suggestions …
First, check out the many excellent comparison videos from Zilla Cabs on Youtube and second, don’t dismiss Jensen speakers. I put two such ones in my Zilla Fatboy cab, one alnico (that are pretty cheap, at least here in Europe) and one neodymium one. Great mix.

Yes, I found the Zilla comparison videos and they seem to be some of the best-done I've come across! I'll be listening to a lot of those, I'll also expand my search to Jensen!

Mayfly said:
I'm a huge fan of the Eminence GB12.  It's a great speaker for not a lot of money.  Has the chime you speak of.

Adding that to the list, thanks!

PhilHill said:
I have some small experience with building cabs. I found that there's no substitute for diameter if you want good bottom end. 10's can do a lot nowadays, but I'd still go with a 12 or 15................. :icon_thumright:

Fair enough, I'd ruled out 15s on the grounds of size, however I'll rule them back in and do some comparison listening, thanks!

Lbpesq said:
I recently replaced one of the two 1x12s I use with a 1x15.  It is a Weber X-Cab with an Eminence 1518.  I prefer a clean sounding speaker - my 1x12 is a JBL K120.  The Eminence supposedly is similar to a JBL K-130.    I love how it sounds.  The lows are wonderfully clear and articulate, better than I’ve ever obtained from a 12” speaker.  The Weber cab has a removable panel like the OP described.  So far, I’m preferring it as an open back.  It’s also relatively lightweight, employing 1/2” Birch plywood rather than the usual 3/4”.

Bill, tgo

Cool, that's a specific 15 I'll spend some time looking into, thanks!

Sadie-f said:
...Question, if you could install any 12" Celestion into a cab / amp, what would you choose? I mostly play on clean amp setting, like a lot of chime, and I'll be driving it both with my hand-built SS amp (2 op-amp stages & 1 transistor stage) and a Milkman 100 tube/FET hybrid...

If you can afford it try the Alnico Cream, many people say it excels in clean & dirty sounds. I love clean tones on alnico speakers, I have a Jensen Blackbird (the first high powered alnico speaker in the market) that I like a lot and I'm guessing the Celestion Cream is similar.

Kostas said:
Sadie-f said:
...Question, if you could install any 12" Celestion into a cab / amp, what would you choose? I mostly play on clean amp setting, like a lot of chime, and I'll be driving it both with my hand-built SS amp (2 op-amp stages & 1 transistor stage) and a Milkman 100 tube/FET hybrid...

If you can afford it try the Alnico Cream, many people say it excels in clean & dirty sounds. I love clean tones on alnico speakers, I have a Jensen Blackbird (the first high powered alnico speaker in the market) that I like a lot and I'm guessing the Celestion Cream is similar.

That's a cool recommendation, albeit a day late :).

I went with the neo copperback 250, got it a couple days ago, and as my bits for cabinet - build are running a week later. Noting the Celestion box is well put together, I decided to use it for a temporary way to hear it running (attached).

Even I'm this far too small "cabinet" I'm entirely happy with it. The sound is incredibly clear, and within its 5 kHz limit, it's as faithful in clarity as my reference headphones.

This really sings backing the Milkman hybrid amp, and sounds great with overdrive & phaser pedals also.

Attachments

• 16384620778940.jpg
    16384620778940.jpg
    956.9 KB · Views: 86
IME it's tough to find a speaker that sounds equally great in both open and closed back situations. For example, I love Vintage 30's in closed back cabs. Not so much in open back. I've found Celestion V-Types to be just the opposite.

Lots of speakers out there I've never tried though.

The Aaron said:
IME it's tough to find a speaker that sounds equally great in both open and closed back situations. For example, I love Vintage 30's in closed back cabs. Not so much in open back. I've found Celestion V-Types to be just the opposite.

Lots of speakers out there I've never tried though.

I believe that, I'm building the option just because since I'm building from scratch, it's easy to do, and if I prefer one way strongly over the other, I'll make that way permanent :).

Essentials of the build finished. I chose beehive boxes to make the cabinet, they're mass produced with good-enough box joint construction. I've added 1/2" baltic birch front baffle and back plates. I can separate them (still gotta add hardware latches to do that properly) and for the open back, I need to add another back piece.

The sound is exactly what I was seeking, as advertised, it adds no brown to the tones, and I'm surprised at how different it is from my Orange (I can get a similar tone to the orange if I roll the tone down to ~6). So not without surprises, all good so far 

Not sure yet whether I like it better closed or open, either way, it sounds great. With grille cloth and hardware still to be added, cost came out to $290, not bad.

(In the first 2 pictures, it's set on top of a couple real beehive boxes)

Attachments

• 16387631811520.jpg
    16387631811520.jpg
    926.1 KB · Views: 91
  • 16387632194891.jpg
    16387632194891.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 91
  • 16387632399792.jpg
    16387632399792.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 93
I guess it's been 6 months since I finished this, and as we live in a small apartment, this rig has spent that time mostly at "2".

We're in Vermont for the weekend and staying at a place that has no neighbors for a mile on north side, so with permission of the Airbnb owner, this was my opportunity to crank the volume.

In addition to being glad the rig sounds fine at volume, I played with feedback, the Mayfly O/W pedal helps and it was a pleasure to let the sound interact with the guitar.

I gotta do this more often (and remember ear protection for the higher registers). Really working the bass lines was fun too, shaking the porch floor is a new experience for me :).

Back