"Sparky" the black & white 7/8 S has arrived

mrpinter

My tech just took a little over a day to do the build for me, and his work is impeccable. Such a nice guitar! Looks great and sounds killer. Specs: alder Alpine White body; ebony on maple neck, gloss finish with 6150 SS frets, mother of pearl dots; Seymour's pickups - Screamin' Demon Trembucker bridge, SSL-2 Vintage Flat Strats at neck and middle (middle is RWRP of course); Wilkinson VS100 Trem bridge; Schaller mini locking tuners; Optima Maxiflex Gold strings - .010 - .046. Here are some pics:

sparky%20frnt%203-4%20vu%20lv%20rm.jpg

sparky%20nkjoint%201.jpg

sparky%20hdstk%201.jpg

stratamania said:
Looks great, nice clean lines and colours  :eek:ccasion14:

I've always liked white Strats with black hardware. It's a great look. Nicely done.

Very nice, Mr P. Really a sweet looking instrument. How do you like the feel of the 7/8, compared to a 24.75"?

BigSteve22 said:
Very nice, Mr P. Really a sweet looking instrument. How do you like the feel of the 7/8, compared to a 24.75"?

The 7/8 Warhead neck IS 24.75" scale. And I do like it... I can reach some of those stretchy chords noticeably easier than on my Fender scale guitars.

For some reason I thought the 7/8 was shorter, oh well. Yeah, copy that on the easier reach. I had tendon repair surgery on my left hand, twice, about 10 years ago. Ring finger still won't straighten completely. Short scale is much easier for me to play, but there's a few chords I still can't quite reach, even on a Gibson scale. Makes me look for alternate forms.

Doesn't the Fender Mustang have a 24" scale? And there are true 7/8 scale guitars, like the Taylor GS Mini that I think is something like a 23.5" scale length. There are also young student guitars like the Squier Mini Strat: I got my granddaughter one and it's perfect for her, but I find it too small for my fingers. Also, I believe Gretsch guitars are 24.5" scale.

Thanks for the suggestions, Brother. I've tried a few REALLY short scale student guitars, but the way my finger stays bent, it really doesn't make much of a difference to go much shorter than Gibson scale. There are some chords I just can't play.

:headbang:
I'll ask you what BB King asked Billy, son why you working so hard..?    .010's????

DangerousR6 said:
:headbang:
I'll ask you what BB King asked Billy, son why you working so hard..?    .010's????

I've had .009s on guitars, most recently on one I just sold, and I just can't get to like the feel of them. They feel "squirrely" compared to the .010s, like I'm inadvertently pushing strings out of tune with my fretting, and it may be partly psychological, but I have the perception that my playing with the heavier strings sounds more "in tune" as a result. And I don't feel like I'm really working harder playing the .010s, they're easy to play for me and they feel more stable. Plus another thing is that I've noticed I have to change strings considerably sooner when I use .009s (which gets to be an issue when using Thomastik or Optima strings on all your guitars). So that's why.

I'm with Mr. P on this one. On 24.75, .09s seem too thin to me. But at the end of the day, I go with what seems--to my ear at least--what sounds best on a given guitar. Even more true on acoustics. My spruce topped maple Alvarez sounds thin and weak with .11 bronze phosphors so it's .12s for her. My cedar/mahogany Ventura, on the other hand, sounds dead and thumpy with .12s so on her it is the .11s.

Anyway, you have wonderful taste Mr. P and looks like your tech does good work.

Nice guitar. I like the headstock shape, and those are the same frets that I have on both of my Warmoth builds. Same bridge pickup too.

THAT'S ABSOLUTELY AWESOME!!!!!!!!!  :icon_biggrin:

Best color combination ever!!!!  :toothy12:

Back