Spalted Quilt/Swamp Ash Tobacco Burst Tele with Pau Ferro Neck

jmohil

It sounds absolutely amazing!    Don Mare makes some great tele pickups...very organic and "live" sounding.  The neck is great too.  I LOVE the feel of the pau ferro, and am sold on the SRV profile.    I'm very, very pleased with how this puppy  turned out. :icon_smile:

Specs:

Body
Swamp ash body
Spalted quilt maple top
Tobacco burst
Ivoroid binding
Rear route controls

Neck
Quartersawn pau ferro/pau ferro
Warmoth pro construction
Stainless steel 6100 frets
Side dots only
SRV contour
Graphtech tusq nut

Hardware/Electronics
Don Mare green onion pickups with 6.6 underwind
Schaller mini-locking tuners
Callaham vintage bridge
Callaham brass compensated saddles
Callaham dome knobs
Bourns 250k vintage pots
Oak grigsby 4-way switch
.047 mfd vitamin Q oil capacitor
Dunlop recessed straplocks
Glendale extreme fat neckplate
Glendale retro rocket ferrules (3 aluminum, 3 brass)
Armadillo machine works aluminum switch tip
Stewmac shielding paint on control & pickup routes, copper shielding tape on control cover
G&G tan alligator case with green poodle lining, form-fitted to this guitar from a tracing I sent them

Picture001.jpg

Picture009.jpg

Picture012.jpg

Picture013.jpg

Picture010.jpg

Picture004.jpg

Picture006.jpg

Love it. Excellent top, it competes with Doug's spalt top.
Tobaccoburst always looks good on spalt, diggin' the knobs/switch tip, and glad to hear about the Mares. TDPRI gives him major props all the time.

That top is beautiful, absolutely stunning finish. I'm also a big fan of no dot marker necks. Every new thread makes me want one more and more.

Very nice. Was wondering who bought that spalted badboy. Looks great.    :guitaristgif:

That's quite lovely.  I like the clean fingerboard, and of course the grain of the neck shaft is quite beautiful.  Well done, and mad props for no pickguard to cover that sexy top.

peace

Bagman

Thanks for the kind words on the build, guys!    

This one was really a lot of fun to put together.   I was in the market for a tele, but when I saw the body on the showcase, I was overcome with GAS and  had to buy it without really having a plan (or the funds) to complete the rest of the build.   Once I saw the body in person, I decided that I didn't want to skimp on anything so I took my time, saved some cash, and did a ton of research in finding the best quality components that I could.    Sure, I could have bought a really nice guitar from the the Fender custom shop for $2000-$6000.  But for under $2k, I now  have a one of a kind guitar that is incredible looking and has the best hardware and electronics that I could find anywhere.   The interaction with the vendors was really enjoyable too.    The guys at Warmoth have always been great (in my opinion).   But outside of that... the guy who made my pickups talked to me on the phone, gave me advice on what I might like based on my playing style, and then hand wound the pickups to my specs.   The hardware is waaay better than anything I could get off the shelf, and came from builders who specialize in those particular parts.    Heck, I even traded emails with the guy who machined my switch tip.  MY SWITCH TIP!  

Anyway, for me, this build epitomized a lot of what makes assembling your own guitar the way to go.     It was a ton of fun, I got exactly what I wanted, and the end product is something that is less expensive and higher quality than branded guitars out there that would cost hundreds (or thousands) of dollars more.    Sure, the resale on a partscaster may not be that promising, but I don't plan on parting with this guitar until I am physically unable to play it any longer, so that is not a concern.  

In a nutshell, I'm really happy.   :glasses10:

Jmohill said:
Thanks for the kind words on the build, guys!    

This one was really a lot of fun to put together.   I was in the market for a tele, but when I saw the body on the showcase, I was overcome with GAS and  had to buy it without really having a plan (or the funds) to complete the rest of the build.   Once I saw the body in person, I decided that I didn't want to skimp on anything so I took my time, saved some cash, and did a ton of research in finding the best quality components that I could.    Sure, I could have bought a really nice guitar from the the Fender custom shop for $2000-$6000.  But for under $2k, I now  have a one of a kind guitar that is incredible looking and has the best hardware and electronics that I could find anywhere.   The interaction with the vendors was really enjoyable too.    The guys at Warmoth have always been great (in my opinion).   But outside of that... the guy who made my pickups talked to me on the phone, gave me advice on what I might like based on my playing style, and then hand wound the pickups to my specs.   The hardware is waaay better than anything I could get off the shelf, and came from builders who specialize in those particular parts.    Heck, I even traded emails with the guy who machined my switch tip.  MY SWITCH TIP!  

Anyway, for me, this build epitomized a lot of what makes assembling your own guitar the way to go.     It was a ton of fun, I got exactly what I wanted, and the end product is something that is less expensive and higher quality than branded guitars out there that would cost hundreds (or thousands) of dollars more.    Sure, the resale on a partscaster may not be that promising, but I don't plan on parting with this guitar until I am physically unable to play it any longer, so that is not a concern.  

In a nutshell, I'm really happy.   :glasses10:

Yay!  :hello2:

My spalted tele has a pau ferro neck as well. I really like the feel of that wood.

Great looking tele btw...

Never have been a tele man but the more I look at this guitar, the more I love it.  How can you go wrong with swamp ash, a spalted quilt maple top,  rear route controls, quartersawn pau ferro/pau ferro, stainless steel 6100 frets, side dots only and  a SRV contour?  It's everything I love in a guitar!

Back