Spalted maple

dmraco

Master Member
I am considering using this top for a scratch build
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261050620918?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_sacat%3D0%26_nkw%3D261050620918%26_rdc%3D1

Question:
What is the best way to stabilize the spalt?  Epoxy?  Grain filler?  Should this be done before or after it is placed on the body?

Will it need binding?  Is the spalt stable enough not to have it?  I think I know the answer...it depends on the wood.  This piece doe not have severe rot so I was hoping not to need binding.

Also, one a filler or epoxy is used, I suppose no other finish is required. 

Thanks.

I can't speak from experience but I know people use Super Glue (CA or cyanacrylate).

I haven't done it either, but have heard the same thing about using CYA. As an added bonus, it sands/buffs out to a nice finish on its own. Downside is, I don't think it'll take stain.

I think the difficulty is getting what ever stabilizer you are going to use thin enough to penetrate well.  It is supposed to be almost like cork board at times.  So you want to make it into a piece of plastic, sort of.  Then you can shoot the color/tint/burst over that.  I don't think it would take dye evenly no matter how you approach it.  I know that, was it Wylie, made a bass with a spalt top and no binding.  It can be done, but I am sure you'd have to get the stuff and make a decision at that point.
Patrick

DangerousR6 has a nice spalt strat. You can follow his finishing escapade here: http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=9056.0

CA works , I've used it.  Also shellac seeps and seals well , I've used zinsers at is good and you can spray lacquer over with no problem.

I have watched a few vids on Z-poxy.  I think that is the way to go...

I would rather spend a weekend in a room filled with plague and flea infested rodents than make another purchase from that eBay seller

my last purchase from them was sold as 10% moisture content ... and upon receipt I had to remove the wood from the plastic wrap so I could drain the water out - really. I also received two top sets that were marked with the correct eBay auction number but in no way were even remotely close to what the auction item images were - a completely different and significantly inferior grain pattern, cut location, and figuring

I guess that makes my transaction part of the 0.2%

all the best,

R

I finished my spalted maple topped guitar with zpoxy->shellac->deft clear gloss laquer. I expected the wood to be softer, but I had no problem finishing spalted maple. I think it really depends alot on how much spalting the wood has...maybe more = tougher to finish? Zpoxy is some good stuff...

If your interested, I bought my spalted maple from Fraser Valley Fine Woods (use advance search to find him) on ebay...I was pleased with the price and the quality of wood. I plan on using him again in the future.

SkuttleFunk said:
I would rather spend a weekend in a room filled with plague and flea infested rodents than make another purchase from that eBay seller

my last purchase from them was sold as 10% moisture content ... and upon receipt I had to remove the wood from the plastic wrap so I could drain the water out - really. I also received two top sets that were marked with the correct eBay auction number but in no way were even remotely close to what the auction item images were - a completely different and significantly inferior grain pattern, cut location, and figuring

I guess that makes my transaction part of the 0.2%

all the best,

R

this is good to know...

FWIW, I've used cyano glue on swamp ash, which to me was a bit of "canyon grained".  I did that after two applications of grain filler.

Came out nice.  No issues... but I was careful, and maybe lucky.

Since spalt is for transparent finishes - be careful with cyano - that you apply it thin, and make sure humidity is low, or else it will cloud on you from trapped moisture within the glue itself.  Cyano takes moisture in from the air to cure... so this is very possible!!!!

Going thin precludes that, even if it means putting 3 or 4 coats in places.

Back