Something similar to alder?

HMstratocaster

Hey guys maybe you can help me with this one. I'm looking for a wood that has a similar tone to alder but is a little heavier and maybe just a microscopic pinch warmer. Any ideas?

Thanks,

HM  :rock-on:

HMstratocaster said:
AutoBat said:
Considering I'm not looking for a neck wood that's REALLY not going to help me. Of course I already looked at the body-wood version of this. I'm not so dumb that I didn't look at that for a half hour before posting this.

well, this is the internets, so we can't be too carefull...  :icon_jokercolor:

Poplar sounds (no pun intended) like the closest thing to what you're asking, the tone-o-meter pegs it a slight bit warmer, and the description says a Strat body weighs about a half-pound more than alder...

Poplar worked for me. My poplar strat sounds slightly warmer than my alder strat. Both have maple necks.

If you want warmer sound, you can try change neck wood instead of changing body wood. I've got Alder body + Canary neck guitar and it's warmer than same combination with maple neck. It has more low-mids, that I guess gives more balls to the sound. Solos sound very juicy and rhythm is punchy with a well defined attack. I love it!

^^^^^^^^^^^
This

Neck wood will make more of a difference.

I chose Alder with maple/rosewood neck (for a sss strat) and it was plenty warm. Once I played it with my chosen PU's I made some changes to the pots/caps to brighten it up a bit.

Within Alder/Ash/Poplar the variation in each piece is going to be more of a difference than the species. Meaning you could get a piece of alder that is brighter than a piece of Ash or vice versa.

While W specifies Ash/Alder as being the same tone wise, many tone woods sites give Ash a chance of being brighter than Alder.

HMstratocaster said:
Hey guys maybe you can help me with this one. I'm looking for a wood that has a similar tone to alder but is a little heavier and maybe just a microscopic pinch warmer. Any ideas?

Thanks,

HM  :rock-on:

For W woods, poplar and basswood may be good options (maybe even lacewood but the first two are more economical).  For other raw stock, I'd look at butternut or chestnut - silky  supple woods to carve and they have tighter grain structure than basswood (punch) but are still soft enough to stay warm....
Of course you can go mahogany and brighten the tone with the neck & pups to counter the body....  There's always a way....

Back