Some really cool news on the music front

fdesalvo

Hey, guys.

Wasn't sure where to stick this one - here or the recording area.  I'm really hesitant to speak about this, but I don't hang out with anyone who knows or cares about gear, recording, or guitaristry in general and I've been holding this in for quite a bit of time.  This means that you are my outlet, as my wife has grown weary lol.  I'll have to be somewhat cryptic and vague.

Somehow one of my tracks ended up with a producer/engineer that's worked with Vai extensively (non-exclusively) over the last 15 years or so and, specifically, on his last 10 or so albums.  We are doing a test session with one of my instrumentals. 

As you know, I am not a virtuoso and I do not play or write in that genre or anywhere near at that level - and there are no affiliations with other artists or labels, so let me set expectations; this is just a project that this dude is interested in.  We will be re-amping, adding additional drum layers, re-mixing, re-mastering, etc and will see where things stand from there, as I've got about 8 songs that fit this style.  Might be cool.  Might not.

Either way, I'm excited, but very nervous at the same time.  I'm hoping the songs come through with the same feel as I produced, but obviously more polished (and better in mono haha).  He understands that the tones I go for are different and he's stoked to work on a different facet of rock.  I'm at the end of my production chops and really needed this breath of life into the songs, since all of my free time goes into my boy.  I'll keep you updated.

Oh, here's the original track, warts and all, that will be recut; you can see by the waveform that my mastering chops are just bleh:

[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/frankdesalvo/they-fell-to-earth[/soundcloud]

Cheers, gang.

Badass! What a cool endeavor! I’ve always really liked this song, I remember the first time I heard it after you posted it quite a while back. It’s what prompted me to go get your album. If it’s prudent, I hope you can share your progress!

Also, if your mastering chops are “bleh”, then I don’t know what the word for mine would be. “Glottal Stop” maybe...

Thank you, lads! 

Appreciate the support massively!  I'm not sure I'll be able to post progress cuts, but will absolutely post up once it's finished.  Nervous as all hell!  :eek:ccasion14:

Very Cool, Frank! Congrats, and I hope it all comes together for you! Love that clip too. Keep us posted!  :guitarplayer2:

vetteman said:
Sounds really good! :headbang4:

Thank you and nice 85 (?) vette!  My pop had one that I loved to drive. Lol once you got in, it would take you 5 minutes to climb out!

Frank!!!! I really like it and the tone is really, really good. The piece of music is musical and has good flow. Finally something nice after sorting through too many YouTube guitar videos. Best to you on this project and the family.

Shawn

Thanks, Shawn!

I just got an update from the Engineer - almost finished.  The bass is giving him a little grief in certain places lol.  I struggled with mixing the bass, too.  It's not consistent across the demo track.  Most likely due to performance when tracking.  Can't wait to hear it.  Anxious!

Not ready to share anything yet, but I've been listening to the second ref mix all morning.  It's amazing what a real engineer can do lol.  I'm so excited to share this with you all once it's out of the oven.

Hey, guys.  You are the only ones I'm sharing this with and this link will self-destruct in 36 hours!  Remember this is unmastered, so it's not loud and proud yet and the final EQ, Compression, and Harmonic Exciter, etc tweaks haven't been made, so the sheen and thump aren't there yet.

https://soundcloud.com/frankdesalvo/they-fell-to-earth-test-unmastered/s-ZTWhm

Back