solid walnut vs solid alder tele body

Caisa

hi, is the difference between a solid walnut and a solid alder tele body? i would expect, that the walnut body is a bit heavier but whats the diference in tone?

I've only played basses made out of walnut.  They were very pretty and sounded great.  Couldn't really tell the difference between alder and walnut for a bass though.  But I can't give any opinion vis-a-vi a guitar.  I suppose given the higher frequency there would be a difference, but I can't say what it is.  But for basses walnut is definitely prettier.

Rick said:
I've only played basses made out of walnut.  They were very pretty and sounded great.  Couldn't really tell the difference between alder and walnut for a bass though.  But I can't give any opinion vis-a-vi a guitar.  I suppose given the higher frequency there would be a difference, but I can't say what it is.  But for basses walnut is definitely prettier.
Ive gpot a Walnut body( the Strat, not me). You'll need to select your pickups wisely. I can suugest some for you if you want based on alot of res3earch and trial and error.
Most pickups will sound like icepick in a Walnut body.

Sorry, but gimme a break - i've got a walnut tele, it's had five different pickups in it and two bridges, and not one of them has sounded like an 'icepick'. Turn down the treble on your amp. Walnut is a great wood - looks great, easy to finish, local, and isn't endangered at all. Maybe a bit heavier than alder on average.

jerryjg said:
Rick said:
Ive gpot a Walnut body( the Strat, not me). You'll need to select your pickups wisely. I can suugest some for you if you want based on alot of res3earch and trial and error.
Most pickups will sound like icepick in a Walnut body.

icepicky? bullshit. I've got 2 walnut les pauls (one with and one without a top!) and neither sounds icepicky. in fact, its fat, raunchy, crunchy, with a lot of attack, punch, pierces great through any band mix, but icepicky?! no way man, no way. its like 'mahogany on the rocks'.

kboman said:
Orpheo said:
its like 'mahogany on the rocks'.

What, watered down and pointlessly cold?

:icon_jokercolor:
your experience is about 360 degrees opposite from mine...well, 359 degrees.
Walnut couldnt be more different than Mahogany. mahaogany is warm and dark. Very slow transient  attack and a soft decay . Walnut is bright ,has a immidiate and percussive attack and sustains vb\ery predominatl,ly but falls off sharply. I tired umpteen pickups in my Walnut Sarat till I found   a suitable abridge humbucker  which wasnt too icepicky -the PATB-3 Duncan , that pickup  wasnt to sharp edgy and shrill.
The middle pickup in myt WEalnut StartWarmoth body  is a Dimarzio Chopper, and the neck is a hot rails, and its a pretty good and even sound, but the pickups i really wanted- a PAtkk-1n middle and neck..  I must say the Walnut Strat  didnt have alot of charecter with , so I chose some hyper- mid eq'd pickups to balance out  the lack of warmth and atonality of the wood. The neck is alright with a somewhat truncated treble pickup that is the Hot rails.
I hope you take into account that Ive got a mint 1980 Walnut SG , and I have a very warm creamy T-top in the neck of that SG, and the Custom5 Duncan works very well in the bridge, and thats not really a overly dark sounding pickup, the Custom5so i don't know really.

Back