So, why Warmoth?

Torment Leaves Scars

Just like the title says, why Warmoth?  What's your story?

I've always wanted an American Custom Shop B.C. Rich, ever since I was a kid.  They've always had the reputation of being the epitome of perfect, and it didn't hurt that being a Metal fan, I'm sort of pre-programmed to love B.C. Rich guitars. :toothy12:

I'd stopped playing for nearly 10 years, and it wasn't until December 2008 that I pulled out my guitars after a very long hiatus.  My wife and I moved into a new home, and we had some rooms that weren't going to be used, mainly a dining room and living room.  We don't have a finished basement, so we had extra furniture.  We chose to make the dining room the living room, mainly due to the fact that we're not big entertainers.  This left the living room with no furniture.  For a few weeks, we pondered on what to do with this free room, and I suggested, "How'bout a music room?"  Rachel thought it was a great idea, and out came the guitars and amp.  

My guitars needed some work after sitting comatose for over a decade, so I got to work on restringing some of them, and having some repairs done to others.  Then I needed guitar stands.  After the guitar stands, I decided I needed a stool.  It just snowballed from there.  

Since the guitars were out, I figured I'd start playing again, and it wasn't long before I wanted to treat myself to that American Custom Shop B.C. Rich Warlock once again.  Finances were in good standing, and I started pricing out my Custom Shop Warlock, only to ding the register at over $5000!  :sad:  It was abundantly clear that Rachel wasn't gonna go for the $5000 guitar, and in all honesty, not being a professional, I found it hard to justify the price.

So, what to do... :icon_scratch:  I wanted an American custom guitar, and remembered seeing Warmoth ads from years ago in magazines.  I decided to look'em up, and do some research.  I found a lot of positive comments regarding their quality, so after about 6 months of research and trying to decide what I wanted, I reluctantly pulled the trigger on a neck and a body.  I didn't know what to expect, so I was pretty nervous.  The parts came months later, and sat in a guitar stand for nearly a year until sending it away last March to be assembled (my birthday present).

I waited for nearly 4.5 months to get my guitar back, and when it came, I was just absolutely psyched!  I plugged in, and it just felt so right.  I knew the moment I played it that my research had paid off.  I had a great satisfaction, because I personally handpicked all the electronics, pickups,  hardware, etc.  I felt like I had an actual role in the build, aside from checking boxes on a sheet of paper.  :headbang1:

Anyway, that's my Warmoth story, and how I wound up with one.  :cool01:

In the 90s I bought a strat and hated the neck, saw a add in the back of Guitar for the Practicing Musician for necks made by Warmoth. Ordered one, finished it, (I do not know if they offered finishing at the time) and put it on, Loved it. around 2000 I got a different guitar that had a bad neck and put a Warmoth on it.
So seeing how I wanted a unique Idea for a tele build, I looked up Warmoth last year online and found this forum, I learned so much I decided to jump right on in. Love the guitar I assembled using Warmoth neck and body.

A friend of mine told me about the site and where to find it when I was a freshman or sophomore in high school (I guess around 2004 or 2005). I thought, "This is perfect!" Got on the site, played with all the options I could think of, and REALLY wanted a carved top Soloist. But I had guitars I was happy with at the time, and really didn't need a project that big. Also, I didn't have the confidence that I could put something great together myself, and I really didn't know where to turn for anything more than minor set up work.

Anyway, a few years later Fender released a limited edition of the Telecaster Deluxe. I loved it! No idea what rock I was under before that, but I had never even seen a Telecaster Deluxe before. If I had then I certainly didn't take notice. Anyway, I played this limited edition guitar (in Shoreline Gold) at a local store and loved the look and features, but was put off by a few things. For one, the thing was insanely heavy. No thanks!

Strangely, even though I loved that shape so much I ended up placing an order for a VIP that was based off of a PRS Modern Eagle II. I ended up losing my job, changed the body order (because it was really more money than I wanted to spend) and ended up with a chambered Strat. It wasn't my original idea, but I was absolutely blown away by the quality of the body and neck I received. After that when Warmoth had their anniversary sale I priced out my dream Telecaster Deluxe, and then a year or so later ended up with a more standard Telecaster. I'll probably own another production line electric guitar someday, but for now it's Warmoth only! My acoustic is a Seagull, and my two electrics are Warmoth. They need a professional set up, but I'm more happy with the Warmoth's that I set up myself than I ever was with my other production line guitars.

So... what you guys are sayin' is, there are other guitars besides Warmoths out there?

Cagey said:
So... what you guys are sayin' is, there are other guitars besides Warmoths out there?

Many!   :eek:ccasion14:

I gotta say though, my Warmoth is an excellent guitar.  It just really fits my style, and it's just really comfortable.  It feels good, and it's nicely balanced.  It's just a really awesome-playing guitar.  In a lot of ways, I think they are far superior to basic production line guitars.

I'm yet to find a guitar that I like better than my Warmoth.  This guitar just feels like it was made for me. :headbang1:

You edited it out, but I'm curious... what paint issues? I know Warmoth has a limited selection (ok, a HUGE collection, but still missing a few key colors [eh hem, Ocean Turquoise]).

JaySwear said:
You edited it out, but I'm curious... what paint issues? I know Warmoth has a limited selection (ok, a HUGE collection, but still missing a few key colors [eh hem, Ocean Turquoise]).

The coating on the body is extremely thin, and there are cracks present in the finish around the routings of the bridge and the pickups.  Each of these "cracks" are about 1.5 inches in length.  I called them up about it to explain my issue, and in mid-sentence, I was abruptly interrupted with, "We don't cover that."  They sure didn't have a problem taking my $200+ (?) for the paint job, though!

I love my guitar, and I'd love to own another Warmoth, but an unwillingness from the get-go to address the issue, or even acknowledge it, left me a bit sore, especially since I had just dropped them over $1100.  It as just poor customer service on their part.  They could have very easily "made it right," even if it was 10% off my next order, or something.  Even just an apology would've satisfied me.  The flaws aren't so present that they maim the guitar, so I won't over-exaggerate the fact, but nonetheless, for the money, it's just not a real good quality paint job.

While I may consider building another Warmoth guitar, they certainly won't be doing the paint on the body.  If I'm going to be charged between $200-$300, I'm going to get a quality paint job.

Here's a photo.  The body also has the same exact flaw in the paint in front of one of the pickup routings, also.  It's about the same length.  The "spider scratches" are my doing; wear and tear.

IMAG0022.jpg

Interesting thread idea!

I always wanted a Les Paul since I was a kid.  I started saving up for a Gibby, went to the shops and decided I wanted an LP Classic.  In looking at the finish options, I thought it was kind of a narrow selection, especially considering that you can get a Les Paul Studio in many different colors.  I had seen a custom shop ad with a blue/teal LP quilt top that I thought was gorgeous, but it was crazy expensive.  So I thought I would settle for a honey burst LP Classic... but they were so expensive and I noticed the ones in the store were pretty heavy and the fretboard was kind of wide compared to what I was used to.  Still, I thought that was what I wanted.

One day I was reading Premier Guitar or something like that, and I saw an ad for Warmoth.  I went online and started reading about the options.  Once I realized I could make a Les Paul with the color I really wanted, lighter weight, with a thin neck AND high fret access, and it would be exactly what I wanted and needed in a guitar and cost $800 less than a Gibson, I was sold.  I saved up and ordered the parts, joined the forum right after I ordered, and the rest is history.  Now I have two fantastic custom guitars that I play every day.  

As much as I love my Les Paul though, I play the Strat a lot more.  The LP digs into my ribs when I'm sitting at my desk.  Too bad LPs don't come with a tummy cut.  

In general, when talking guitar finishes, thin finishes are usually preferred.  But from looking at your picture, that line seems strange. I don't have anything like that on my body, nor have I seen that type of line on other bodies here on the forum.

I'm sorry you didn't get satisfaction when you called W about the issue.  They seem to be pretty good about customer service, but of course YMMV.

To be fair, W is pretty good about people expressing their likes/dislikes on this forum, as long as its done in a respectful manner.  Perhaps this is not the end of the discussion.

Whatever the outcome, it seems you are happy with the overall quality of the guitar.  I hope the finish defects do not distract you from an otherwise beautiful guitar.  Nice job with your first build.  I hope you enjoy it for many years to come.

Nightclub Dwight said:
In general, when talking guitar finishes, thin finishes are usually preferred.  But from looking at your picture, that line seems strange. I don't have anything like that on my body, nor have I seen that type of line on other bodies here on the forum.

I'm sorry you didn't get satisfaction when you called W about the issue.  They seem to be pretty good about customer service, but of course YMMV.

To be fair, W is pretty good about people expressing their likes/dislikes on this forum, as long as its done in a respectful manner.  Perhaps this is not the end of the discussion.

Whatever the outcome, it seems you are happy with the overall quality of the guitar.  I hope the finish defects do not distract you from an otherwise beautiful guitar.  Nice job with your first build.  I hope you enjoy it for many years to come.

What just really made me sore was that the rep didn't wanna hear anything of it.  As soon as I mentioned what type of flaw it was, he interrupted me and I was told, "That's not covered."  I've always heard good things about Warmoth's C/S, so this took me a bit by surprise (in a bad way....).  I'm not sure whether or not to just chalk it up to my rep being rude, or typical Warmoth practice when it comes to guarantees.  FWIW, during my "research process," I did come across a post regarding one of the reps being pretty rude, and ironically, it's the same person I wound up dealing with.  I dealt with him about 3 or 4 times with placing orders for various parts, and he was always very helpful, but when it came to this issue, it was a different story.  :icon_scratch:  

For all I know, this could be a rarity for them, but it's the only example I have to go on, of course, because it's the only guitar body I've purchased from them.  The neck is a different story, so I'd like to believe that the issues with the paint on the body are not the norm.  The neck is absolutely STUNNING.  I mean, WOW.

I guess in the grand scheme of things, I'm more upset with the treatment I got when addressing the issue than the flaws in the paint themselves.

While I don't feel real comfortable with complaining about something that happened well over a year ago, at the same time I guess I'm curious as to whether anyone else has ever run into a similar problem with them.  

Intentions aren't to bash Warmoth, so I hope that's understood.  I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who have built numerous Warmoth guitars, and have never had an issue with the paint jobs on their guitars.

All complaints aside about the finish, this is one of the best guitars I've ever played, and I will certainly enjoy it for years to come!  No regrets on my part for choosing a Warmoth guitar.  A flaw in the paint certainly doesn't detract from the way it plays. 

Being able to customize and get whatever your imagination can come up with is the main reason for me. I've found that a lot of guitar models I like always have a feature or two I don't want, or are missing features I want. The Explorer I had built is one example of that. I like that style of guitar but I wanted features I couldn't find on the Gibson's I have seen for sale. That and I could choose the finish I wanted instead of having to settle for what was available. It's also a lot more fun to plan out a project and go through that whole brainstorming process.

For me it's about customization and small tweaking of something familiar.  Going to retailers, I'd look on the wall and think, "I like that but don't like that."  Or, "If it has this instead of that, it'd be perfect."  I wasn't looking to reinvent the wheel or create anyhting new, just customize what was already out there.  The guitars and basses I've made with the parts I've ordered, when assembled and to the untrained observer don't look any different than something you'd see at the store.  To the person that knows what they're looking at, they could never be mistaken for store bought.  I like knowing that each of mine didn't exist until I ordered them, and even though there is a finite number of custom possibilties, I've never seen another one like any of mine.

My first warmoth was a culmination of everything I wanted to have, but never could have in any guitar. I wanted a les paul with a great figured maple top, a trem, thick rosewood neck, custom inlay, thick frets and 3 humbuckers. PRS has the rosewood neck, but not on a trem-les paul, and not nearly as fat as I wanted. and at the time, prs also didn't do the 3 pickup thing on a more regular basis. so, thats how it all started. my first had a korina back, flamed maple top, 5A artist grade, rosewood neck and board, 3 humbuckers and a hipshot trem. its still one of my favorite guitars.

then I ordered a PRS swampash special, to cover my stratty-ish needs. but that thing played insane, sounded awesome, looks sick, but I couldn't jel with it. so I traded it with a friend for his warmoth LP! quilt maple top, 4A, mahogany back, rosewood neck and board (brazilian) and a hipshot trem. I modded the hell out of that thing, and the guitar is now loaded with 3 bill lawrence 500L pickups. she looks beaten up, but sounds SICK! :D

In november that same year, i made another order. koa on walnut, ziricote neck, macassar ebony board. that guitar also has 3 pickups, a kahler (due to major tuning issues i had the first 2 years of its existance). but now its also one of my favorites.

after that, I ordered many, many more, and I will order 2 more this year. I won't promise they'll be my last, but I can say that they will have everything I want in a les paul.

Being left handed all of my factory guitar buying experiences have been: "There is one model available in left hand.  It only comes in black, and we'll have to order it."  Warmoth lets me build all of the guitars I used to wish I could go into a music store and buy off the wall.

I built my Warmoth after my grandfather died. He never played guitar, but he lived with us during the last 7-8 years of his life and would often listen to me play, even though what I was playing was definitely not his genre. He often said he missed hearing the guitar when I moved out of my parents' house to go to university. He left each of us grandkids a small inheritance, on the condition that we "do something with it," rather than squander it on booze, videos games or school (that part cracked me up). I had heard about Warmoth from magazines and a few friends that tinkered with guitars, so I started looking into building a guitar as a way of "doing something" with the money he had left me. I've always loved TV yellow double-cutaway LPs, so that's what I got. My dad and I assembled it together, and while the finish isn't perfect, it still looks, sounds and plays great. It also gave us both the itch to build more, hopefully from scratch one day.

I'm sure Granddad would've loved to hear me play "War Pigs" on it.  :headbang1:

Funny story about that guitar: I've never been one to name my possessions--even the dog was named "Dog"--but my crazy girlfriend at the time insisted I name the guitar after her, even though it had nothing to do with her. Her name was Caroline, but I used to call her "Chuck" just to piss her off, so that's what the guitar was christened. It's written in gold on the back of the control cavity cover.  :icon_biggrin:

Simple - a pro level instrument with a b-bender, tone that I wanted, and a neck shape I could use.  Simply could not buy that anywhere.

When I ordered my first W telecaster, I had known about warmoth for 20+ years.  Recently I just happened on the site (Back in they day it was paper catalogs only)  and found that they had started to do their own finishing.  So I ordered one on a lark, put it together at work, and just loved the thing.  It quickly became my #1 guitar.

I've since sold all my other guitars (a small collection of Rickenbackers) and now I have 5 warmoth telecasters, 3 with b-benders, a warmoth 'Fender XII", and a W Jazz bass.  They get used on stage on a regular basis and I'm as happy as a clam.  They have elevated my playing to a new level and always inspire me to try new things.

mayfly said:
They have elevated my playing to a new level and always inspire me to try new things.

I've found this to be true of both guitars I put together (one Warmoth, one not). I don't know if it's the fact of having exactly what you want, if it's connection you forge with the instrument as you assemble it, or if it's simply the confidence and lack of trepidation that comes when you're playing something you put together yourself (at least in my case, I'm far less afraid of scratching or breaking my guitars now that I know I can fix them), but there's just something special about THOSE guitars.

E.G. Jones said:
I built my Warmoth after my grandfather died. He never played guitar, but he lived with us during the last 7-8 years of his life and would often listen to me play, even though what I was playing was definitely not his genre. He often said he missed hearing the guitar when I moved out of my parents' house to go to university. He left each of us grandkids a small inheritance, on the condition that we "do something with it," rather than squander it on booze, videos games or school (that part cracked me up). I had heard about Warmoth from magazines and a few friends that tinkered with guitars, so I started looking into building a guitar as a way of "doing something" with the money he had left me. I've always loved TV yellow double-cutaway LPs, so that's what I got. My dad and I assembled it together, and while the finish isn't perfect, it still looks, sounds and plays great. It also gave us both the itch to build more, hopefully from scratch one day.

I'm sure Granddad would've loved to hear me play "War Pigs" on it.  :headbang1:

Funny story about that guitar: I've never been one to name my possessions--even the dog was named "Dog"--but my crazy girlfriend at the time insisted I name the guitar after her, even though it had nothing to do with her. Her name was Caroline, but I used to call her "Chuck" just to piss her off, so that's what the guitar was christened. It's written in gold on the back of the control cavity cover.  :icon_biggrin:

Nice story behind your build.  My grandfather died in December 2009, and left a small inheritance.  All his life, he saved money, and I know he worked hard for it, so I didn't want to spend it on something trivial.

I really got into biking, and decided to spend the inheritance on a road bike.  Basically, it was the last thing he'd ever buy me, so I didn't want to spend it on something trivial.  I know he worked very hard for that money, so damned if I was going to waste it.  He worked in a steel mill for all his life, so I KNOW he broke his arse for that money.  To just throw it away would have been a dishonor to him.

I question my purchase with that inheritance money, but when I think about it, I'd question anything I did with that money, whether it was to build a guitar, buy a bike, pay off bills, give to charity, etc.  Whatever the case, I decided that what he'd probably want the most is for me to just enjoy the fruits of his labor.  :eek:ccasion14:

I was a tone freak even before 1990 when I started playing guitar. As a kid I loved tweaking the EQ on the tapes I was recording and I was always searching for the perfect sound whether it was listening or playing music. My first big love was Gibson, Les Pauls mostly, but then I started buying the american guitar magazines and I went into the only dealer in town (and in the country) who had a big rack (VHT power, Egnater/Soldano/Bogner preamps) and I realized what I was missing. I heard Anderson & Grosh guitars into this rack and for the first time I heard details I had never heard and a quality I never thought existed. I had already seen the Warmoth ads in the guitar mags and I ordered a catalog on '95 but my biggest dream was to buy an Anderson.

I finally managed to buy a second hand Anderson on 1999 which I loved the sound but could not bond with the thin neck and the Floyd Rose. In 2006 I started to surf guitar forums and I found Warmoth's site. I had played with a dozen Warmoth strats (all assembled by the local Warmoth dealer at the time) and I knew I had to try to make mine. I ordered the first body from the shwocase after watching it for months and the rest is history.

The quality of the parts is excellent although I'd love more options and lower prices. I see Warmoth as a custom guitar company, not as a maker of replacement parts. For me it's always of how unique I can be, not make a replica of 1959 guitar. If money was not a problem I would buy all the Suhrs & Andersons I want but for now (and probably for life) Warmoth is my choice.

I am like most people here making their one of a kind custom guitar.  Playing guitar for 16 years I have spent about 10 of those changing pickups, tweaking things here and there.  I have made the long drawn out story before on this forum, so I wont duplicate it here.  Basically my first guitar stopped being worth all of the trouble and work I was putting into it.  I was looking to find a donor Fender Strat body to transfer my idea to, but when I searched online I found Warmoth among many others.  I liked how I could choose a licensed "tried and true" Fender Strat, and choose every aspect of the wood, grain patterns, color, binding, and inlays.  I personally don't own a guitar with dot inlays because, even though I still need them to play, I prefer to have other markings to be a more artistic style than plain old dots.  Its hard to find a manufactured guitar that has everything you want already in it, and these days I just wind of modifiying the guitar anyway to my liking.  Warmoth's website allowed my imagination to run wild and start putting the ideas together that would otherwise be limited to whats commonly available.  Only a custom made guitar can be one of a kind.  I'm glad I found Warmoth.

Back