Smoke On The Water - Lead Part (Warmoth Roasted Maple Neck)

wolbai

Now this is a real quick recording with my new Warmoth Roasted Maple Neck.

The Neck has a Wizard contour, Stainless Steel frets (6150), an Earvana nut and Schaller locking tuners.

I installed it on my second work horse: a James Tyler Variax JTV69.
I use this guitar for songs with an acoustic part and/or special tunings (modeling).
The Kinman Av69 magnetic neck pickup sounds great on this guitar: woody, airy and nice top end tone.

Recorded this "Quicky" with my Line 6 POD HD500 MultiFX and the PARK-75 amp model (that is my practicing tool at home).

This is my first unfinished Neck and it feels and plays fantastic! Very smooth sliding!
Use Stainless Steel frets for several years on my first work horse: great for bending/vibrato. It is killer!
Before the installation, I put a bit of lemon oil on the neck. Will do this further on a few times per year.

I also made some testing with the intonation and the Eravana nut:
I recorded several notes on different frets on my old neck and the new Warmoth neck with the Earvana nut with the Melodyne software.
In summary: The Eravana nut improves the overall guitar intonation. Especially in the first 3 frets (good for open chord/acoustic stuff) and on the higher frets.
I know this test is not 100% comparable, because of the two necks. BUT: compared to my older neck it IS an inprovement in intonation, especially when I am playing the acoustic songs Live with my duo partner. For more details - see attachment.

I love Ritchie Blackmore for the very end of this lead part: This is a huge statement in electric guitar history and his entry card to guitar heaven  :headbang:

Any feedback is welcome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k09m4Dz5Nz0&feature=youtu.be

wolbai

Attachments

• Intonation Earvana Sattel - 2.pdf
    195.3 KB · Views: 189
I know it was two different necks but I’m surprised the earvana made that much of a difference on the fretted notes, have others done this?

nice job on the song

Thx all for your well-meaning feedback  :icon_thumright:

@new-killer-star:
Also an Earvana nut will not completely solve the general intonation problem of a guitar, equipped with even frets.

To what extent is very depending on your playing style (soft/hard pressing on frets ?), the musical context (keys ?) and the fret layer (open chords ?) you are playing. AND: how much your ear is trained to hear intonation problems.

In the early days of making music, I honestly just did not hear when my guitar (or voice) had a bad intonation.
That has improved over the years. And recordings and the confrontation with the naked truth helped a lot  :icon_biggrin:

I use this guitar quite often for acoustic parts with open chords (mainly 1st to 3rd fret).
I can clearly hear a better intonation in the first to third fret, playing, C, D, G, A, ... chords.

Having that said: the Eravana nut not only influences the intonation in the first three frets, it affects the intonation of other frets too.

There might be some deviation, if I would do the test again. Because, just pressing a bit softer or harder will affect the intonation quite a bit. But I am quite sure, the tendency will be the same:

- hearable intonation improvement in the 1-3 frets,
- sligthly flatter intonation in the area of 5 - 17 frets,
- hearable intonation improvement in the area of 17 - 22 frets.

Is +/- 5 to 10 Ct. much ? Not really, compared to a vocalist.
Any vocalist which can intonate notes within that bandwith is a good singer IMO. I know this from recordings and post work of vocal tracks with Melodyne software.

At the end of the day: There is a lot of nicely sounding and good intonated music out there, that was and is played with guitars that are equipped with a Standard nut.
Playing Live Music, normally is not a problem at all. Recordings is a different story: depending on the musical context, sometimes it is helpful to tune the guitar for the specific layer you are playing a track.

wolbai

Back