Slide switch mounting

Sovereign_13

I've been browsing Mouser and the like trying to come up with a rough electronics estimate for the build I'm planning, and I found something kind of odd without any discernable explanation:

A large number of "panel-mount" slide switches seem to have tabs with open-ended circular cutouts in place of the threaded holes I would expect (with the panel being sandwiched between the mounting face and the mounting screws).

This is what I'm talking about:
1000_series_new_SPL.jpg

I've tapped the internet as best I know how to find out how exactly these things are supposed to be mounted, but I can't find any pictures of them installed on something.  My best guess is that it's a machine-screw-and-nut deal.  They aren't exceptionally cheap switches either - both C&K and NKK seem to be offering this mounting style instead of the conventional threaded-hole type.

Anyone run across/used these?  How do you mount them to the panel/switch plate?

Those switches has solder pins, not holes, so basically they are made to be mounted to a PCB.

Jebberz said:
Those switches has solder pins, not holes, so basically they are made to be mounted to a PCB.

Even the switches with solder lugs use the tabs.  The ones that are listed for PCB mounting don't seem to have tabs at all.

Here's another panel-mount switch.  Different company (with solder lugs instead of pins), but still those open-circle tabs.
nkk_ms13afg01.jpg

No one?  Wow, I've stumped UnWarmoth!  I'm going to assume it's a machine screw/nut mounting procedure, but I'll report back what I find.

Sovereign_13 said:
No one?  Wow, I've stumped UnWarmoth!  I'm going to assume it's a machine screw/nut mounting procedure, but I'll report back what I find.
I believe those switches are designed to mount to standoffs mounted on a PCB. Leads solder into the board, and screws/standoffs provide a mechanical connection. (I have not seen a board designed like that in quite a while.) I have seen switches like that panel mounted, using screws passing through the panel, and a washer and nut on the inside. This is not the best design for panel mounting, (better to have threaded holes in the mounting flange), but it will work. Just because a switch has PCB leads, doesn't mean they can't be wired to.

Back