Single Coil size Humbucker

corgi

Hello, I am new to this forum but have been modifying, repairing, and/or putting together my own electrics for several years. I put together a Warmoth Strat sevral years ago that I like very much with a HSS pickup configuration. I am now of the opinion that I really want a warm fat humbucker sound in the neck pickup position. Is this really possible in a single coil size pickup? I was considering the SD Little'59, Lace Sensor Blue, or even one of the Carvin Twin Rail pickups. Is there a clearly superior unit for that or should I just bite the bullet and rout the body for a full size HB? I will definitely wire it to split for use with the middle pickup although I don't really use that sound very often. Thanks in advance. I really enjoy all the tips and tricks you all have posted here.

Not to sound condescending, but i have never understood why people put in single coil sized humbuckers, if they have the option to use a full sized humbucker...
IMO, single coil sized humbuckers are a compromise for when you cannot fit a full sized humbucker.
But thats just my opinion, and i am sure that alot of people are going to disagree with me.

If your into using the pickup in single coil mode, it can get pretty thin because the coil is much smaller than a traditional single coil.

I personally do not like anything in the bridge position of my guitar but a full sized humbucker...  Single coil sized humbuckers do not sound anywhere near warm or thick enough for the bridge position to my ears.  I put one in my strat and replaced it in a week.  I like them better in the neck position.  In fact, the pick up configuration for my current build it an Alnico II Pro in the bridge and a classic stack plus in the neck.  Both Seymour Duncans.

Well after 8 years I think I gave it a good run but I just do not find much use for a single coil in the neck position. I just wanted to avoid routing the body any more if I could get away with it.

I don't know, those little HBs never sound like a nice, warm HB to me - I've got a lil '59 tele bridge pickup, and it's a pretty good rock pickup but it doesn't sound much like a tele sc or a nice vintage PAF HB, really. Had some GFS dual-blade types before and they lacked character too. I'm not sure you can get a great, warm, smooth HB sound from high-output ceramic magnets, skinny bobbins, and high output. But I'm sure the next post will prove me wrong. I'd try one before routing a nice strat - you can always ebay for minimal loss if you don't like it. Vintage rails? I dunno.

Nope, this post won't prove you wrong either.....cause I agree with ya.  I've tried the Cool/Vintage/Hot rails combo.  They're nice, more output and hum canceling, but the tone isn't in the same league as my full sized SD '59 neck.

It's the one after mine that will prove us both wrong.  :laughing7:

I built a warmoth for a friend and he wanted the single size humbucker in the Bridge, I forget what it was, some Seymour Duncan somethin....He used good singles Pearly gates?  Or VanZants I think in the Mid and Neck and the poor humbucker paled badly in comparison. It had an OK sound, just no oomph!

So, route out for a full size and if you ever wanna go back, it's a pickguard away from 3 singles

BTW, see if you can get up to 3 posts by the end of the year :laughing7:

I have a overwound Dimarzio protrack in the neck of my tele. If I keep the volume around 7 or 8 it has a nice warm tone that doesn't mud up with the bass. I had that problem a lot with jazz bands when comping and this pu solved it. No it is not like a full size hb but it has a nice clean sound and when split it has a GREAT single coil sound. I split this all the time for funk and coupled with the evoII in the bridge I just love it. When the volume is all the way up this thing SCREAMS!!! Big and chunky yet full of harmonics and details that just lays the fusion down like no other. The volume control is real important on this and once I get it dialed in I can play any style of music and sound crisp and clear through any size mix. With it having ceramic magnets you can get some pretty killer sustain out of it too. Again it is much more modern sounding than you may want for a strat but just my 2cents...

there is a pic on the p/j or j bass thread...

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate the help. Looks like routing will be the way to go. Just for kicks though, my bridge HB is a Schaller Golden 50's. It is 8.2 ohms. Any suggestions as to what might match up nicely with that? I can always get the neck version of the Schaller as it sounded very nice in my Epiphone Dot I sold a few years ago. I put a cover on it though so that probably affected a bit. Thanks again.

Back