Should you start on acoustic or electric? Things to consider

jerotas

The choice is not as simple as some would have you believe, and I've seen a lot of bad advice out there, so I made this video.

I hope it's helpful for those of you about to make the jump!
-Brian

I remember starting out on acoustic (40+ yrs ago) which sucked because I wanted to play AC/DC songs, but my mom wanted me to learn how to play John Denver songs 🤮. Soon enough though my dad would give me "microloans" so I could buy an electric which took me down a rabbit hole of guitars, amps, pedals, etc.. that continues to this day. When I went into the military my younger brother used my equipment and instantly took up playing like SRV - little bastard! Almost sounds like the Jimmy & SRV story.

To be a new guitarist in this day and age with You Tube, GuitarTabs, amps with headphone slots my parents would probably gladly got me an electric w/Fender Micro Mustang just to avoid having to hear me play for hours on end with my amp rumbling away. I think a new guitar player would benefit and stick with it longer if they had a starting point where they enjoyed the music they were learning and with the right instrument.

I remember starting out on acoustic (40+ yrs ago) which sucked because I wanted to play AC/DC songs, but my mom wanted me to learn how to play John Denver songs 🤮. Soon enough though my dad would give me "microloans" so I could buy an electric which took me down a rabbit hole of guitars, amps, pedals, etc.. that continues to this day. When I went into the military my younger brother used my equipment and instantly took up playing like SRV - little bastard! Almost sounds like the Jimmy & SRV story.

To be a new guitarist in this day and age with You Tube, GuitarTabs, amps with headphone slots my parents would probably gladly got me an electric w/Fender Micro Mustang just to avoid having to hear me play for hours on end with my amp rumbling away. I think a new guitar player would benefit and stick with it longer if they had a starting point where they enjoyed the music they were learning and with the right instrument.
Yes! Sorry to hear about that. I was fortunate enough to start on electric and believe it's right for most, contrary to popular advice.

Seems simple to me: start with the one you want play.

Telling someone they should start on acoustic when they want to play electric seems like nonsense to me. I have never understood many parent's notion that they must make their kids run the acoustic gauntlet in order to somehow prove their worthiness for an electric.

Seems simple to me: start with the one you want play.

Telling someone they should start on acoustic when they want to play electric seems like nonsense to me. I have never understood many parent's notion that they must make their kids run the acoustic gauntlet in order to somehow prove their worthiness for an electric.
It's not just parents. Many teachers give the same advice. Many players also do. I'm challenging "conventional wisdom" here with what I've actually seen being in the community for 35 years, plus other gotchas.

It's not just parents. Many teachers give the same advice. Many players also do. I'm challenging "conventional wisdom" here with what I've actually seen being in the community for 35 years, plus other gotchas.

Oh....I know! I taught guitar for about 15 years, and saw it over and over.

My very 1st guitar was a cheap classical type acoustic guitar my parents had gotten me for my 13th bday in 1982 or so. Had no idea how to tune the thing, and it kinda sat there for a year or so, when my uncle came over and randomly started twisting the tuning pegs with no idea of what he was doing. But, I had figured out part of the James Bond theme that I could play on the bottom E string, so who needed tuning anyway!!

Fortune shined it's light upon me when a neighbor knocked on my door mentioning he had seen me with the guitar and he was a teacher. He taught with a classical type guitar and right off the bat, taught me Whole Lotta Love, which was an eye opener on how simple something could be, but very powerful. He asked what my goal was with the guitar, and it was, and has always been, to write songs, play those songs and have other people be inspired by those songs, with total creative focus from me/the band I'd be in, and control it all....very much in the model of Jimmy Page and Led Zeppelin. Instead of just teaching me songs, he also taught me how to build chords. Once a month, I'd show him a new idea I was working on. T'was amazing how fast it went from typical 1,2,3,4 strumming of something like an Am, to more complex rhythms and chords. I think he also got a kick out of teaching in this capacity. He introduced me to a couple of other students that were focused on doing their own thing, and it opened worlds for me. One student was using glasses filled with water to a specific pitch, and then recording those tones and using 80's guitar effect pedals to make some really interesting sounds.

While yes, there was frustration in not being able to get an EVH brown sound out of the acoustic, the acoustic was a terrific platform to play unamplified guitar. During my teenage years while taking lessons from 2 different teachers, I found, and still find, the acoustic to be a great platform to write on and be expressive. I've written many songs that started on acoustic, but also knowing they'd be transferred to electric and be rocked the "F" out.

That said, my 1st electric was a 1975 Gibson LP Deluxe routed for HB's, and a small Peavey Bandit amp. I remember bringing the amp home and didn't work. I looked in the back and one of the wires wasn't mounted on the speaker. Once plugged in correctly, it was like WHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAA....KEERRRRAAANNNNNGGGGGGG, and it was like listening to angels.

I saw it mentioned, that in today's world with Youtube and vid's for guitar teaching, "learning" is made easier from the available resources, and I agree. However, I also know there is great value in fumbling through trying to learn something, and making mistakes, where those mistakes become starting points for something original. Lots of ideas, riffs and songs, were formed in trying to learn something, failing, but in the process came across something that said "yeah, run with this".

My very 1st guitar was a cheap classical type acoustic guitar my parents had gotten me for my 13th bday in 1982 or so. Had no idea how to tune the thing, and it kinda sat there for a year or so, when my uncle came over and randomly started twisting the tuning pegs with no idea of what he was doing. But, I had figured out part of the James Bond theme that I could play on the bottom E string, so who needed tuning anyway!!

Fortune shined it's light upon me when a neighbor knocked on my door mentioning he had seen me with the guitar and he was a teacher. He taught with a classical type guitar and right off the bat, taught me Whole Lotta Love, which was an eye opener on how simple something could be, but very powerful. He asked what my goal was with the guitar, and it was, and has always been, to write songs, play those songs and have other people be inspired by those songs, with total creative focus from me/the band I'd be in, and control it all....very much in the model of Jimmy Page and Led Zeppelin. Instead of just teaching me songs, he also taught me how to build chords. Once a month, I'd show him a new idea I was working on. T'was amazing how fast it went from typical 1,2,3,4 strumming of something like an Am, to more complex rhythms and chords. I think he also got a kick out of teaching in this capacity. He introduced me to a couple of other students that were focused on doing their own thing, and it opened worlds for me. One student was using glasses filled with water to a specific pitch, and then recording those tones and using 80's guitar effect pedals to make some really interesting sounds.

While yes, there was frustration in not being able to get an EVH brown sound out of the acoustic, the acoustic was a terrific platform to play unamplified guitar. During my teenage years while taking lessons from 2 different teachers, I found, and still find, the acoustic to be a great platform to write on and be expressive. I've written many songs that started on acoustic, but also knowing they'd be transferred to electric and be rocked the "F" out.

That said, my 1st electric was a 1975 Gibson LP Deluxe routed for HB's, and a small Peavey Bandit amp. I remember bringing the amp home and didn't work. I looked in the back and one of the wires wasn't mounted on the speaker. Once plugged in correctly, it was like WHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAA....KEERRRRAAANNNNNGGGGGGG, and it was like listening to angels.

I saw it mentioned, that in today's world with Youtube and vid's for guitar teaching, "learning" is made easier from the available resources, and I agree. However, I also know there is great value in fumbling through trying to learn something, and making mistakes, where those mistakes become starting points for something original. Lots of ideas, riffs and songs, were formed in trying to learn something, failing, but in the process came across something that said "yeah, run with this".
Hellll yes. Some of my best material is composed 50% of mistakes that were recorded. Great story!

Whatever you do, dont start your kid on a left handed guitar just because they write left handed. I have 2 close friends that play lefty that wish they had learned right handed. There are legit cases where some folks can only make it work left handed but they dont make lefty trumpets or pianos for a reason.

Whatever you do, dont start your kid on a left handed guitar just because they write left handed. I have 2 close friends that play lefty that wish they had learned right handed. There are legit cases where some folks can only make it work left handed but they dont make lefty trumpets or pianos for a reason.
That's me! I write and eat left handed, but I play guitar right handed. I've tried both ways, it's definitely better this way.

However, however...I don't agree that guitar handed-ness should be the picking band. I think it should be the fret hand. Much more complex there. Not really sure why that's what stuck...

@rauchman touched upon a very important element. Being exposed to another musician or teacher that helps get you to the next level of understanding. I had 2 guitar teachers. The first one was old futtydutty bepop guy (although I'd probably like to learn more from him now), and my second guitar teacher who really expanded my horizon. I remember my first guitar lesson with him where he asked me what I wanted to learn. I told him I wanted to play like EVH because he was the best player. he said sure and showed a few tunes. The next lesson he gave me a cassette tape that started out with the Mahavishnu orchestra Birds of fire, Al Di Meola, The Dregs, Pat Metheny , The Dregs, Michael Hedges and the Allman Brothers. I was blown away and it broadend my interest in guitar and music.

Last edited:
I didn't watch the video, but I am so glad my parents bought me an electric for my first guitar. About 1989 range. Luckily, my dad had dabbled in guitar (but didn't stick with it) in his younger years and has an appreciation for quality products. He's a hunting and fishing kind of guy, for the most part ...

Anyway, for Christmas when I was about fourteen, I got what was at the time referred to as a Gibson Melody Maker (at least that's what the local music shop was calling it). Slab bodied Gibson Les Paul Junior style single cut with an Explorer headstock and locking Kahler tremolo bridge. Black with pearl pickguard and black hardware. I was listening to mostly hair bands at the time, but that wouldn't last long. Solid state Crate practice amp came along with it. Man, that saturated fizzy tone is still stuck in my head! :D

I took lessons for a few months from a local "Hair" legend who was absolutely awesome and would tab out snippets of AC/DC, Def Leppard, Great White, Dangerous Toys, etc. tunes. After a few months I was starting to pick up things on my own and, especially, through the help of a new guitar playing friend (who is now a professor of music at the collegiate level - so proud of him!).

Losing track ...

Eventually, I actually wanted an acoustic. It would change my approach to playing greatly and lead me to another side of the musical spectrum as I explored many different styles during my artsy-fartsy high school days. The journey is never ending, but I don't think it would have started successfully if I would have started on acoustic.

I think you should start on whatever instrument moves you. When you are able to recreate the sounds that you already love hearing, you are more likely to stick with it.

(I will watch the video soon ... ;))

@rauchman touched upon a very important element. Being exposed to another musician or teacher that helps get you to the next level of understanding. I had 2 guitar teachers. The first one was old futtydutty bepop guy (although I'd probably like to learn more from him now), and my second guitar teacher who really expanded my horizon. I remember my first guitar lesson with him where he asked me what I wanted to learn. I told him I wanted to play like EVH because he was the best player. he said sure and showed a few tunes. The next lesson he gave me a cassette tape that started out with the Mahavishnu orchestra Birds of fire, Al Di Meola, The Dregs, Pat Metheny , The Dregs, and Allman Brothers. I was blown away and it broadend my interest in guitar and music.
Very cool. I had a dude that worked at the place I took my first guitar lessons, and he showed me Dimeola, Vai and others. I knew only Satch at the time.

I didn't watch the video, but I am so glad my parents bought me an electric for my first guitar. About 1989 range. Luckily, my dad had dabbled in guitar (but didn't stick with it) in his younger years and has an appreciation for quality products. He's a hunting and fishing kind of guy, for the most part ...

Anyway, for Christmas when I was about fourteen, I got what was at the time referred to as a Gibson Melody Maker (at least that's what the local music shop was calling it). Slab bodied Gibson Les Paul Junior style single cut with an Explorer headstock and locking Kahler tremolo bridge. Black with pearl pickguard and black hardware. I was listening to mostly hair bands at the time, but that wouldn't last long. Solid state Crate practice amp came along with it. Man, that saturated fizzy tone is still stuck in my head! :D

I took lessons for a few months from a local "Hair" legend who was absolutely awesome and would tab out snippets of AC/DC, Def Leppard, Great White, Dangerous Toys, etc. tunes. After a few months I was starting to pick up things on my own and, especially, through the help of a new guitar playing friend (who is now a professor of music at the collegiate level - so proud of him!).

Losing track ...

Eventually, I actually wanted an acoustic. It would change my approach to playing greatly and lead me to another side of the musical spectrum as I explored many different styles during my artsy-fartsy high school days. The journey is never ending, but I don't think it would have started successfully if I would have started on acoustic.

I think you should start on whatever instrument moves you. When you are able to recreate the sounds that you already love hearing, you are more likely to stick with it.

(I will watch the video soon ... ;))
Crate solid state amp! Haha memories.

That sounds more like my experience. Eventually I wanted an acoustic, didn't understand the hype for the longest time lol. I agree, who knows if I'd be half the player if I started on acoustic. And spot on, I would not have practiced 6 hour days in high school on an acoustic. No chance.

Or just don't get pedals. Pedals are stupid anyways. trollin right along...
Haha, I never really had pedals, because I always went for the multi-fx units. Yes I had a separate foot controller, so one "pedal" I suppose. I had a wah wah before that but nothing after. I was always into the digital offerings, not tube offerings, because I couldn't stand the idea of being locked into only 2 sounds. I also hated amps without reverb, and didn't like the sound of Marshalls (on record yes, in the room not so much). I know, I'm an odd cat, but everything I said is true.

I had a 12 space rack with Sans amp, 2 programmable EQ's, G-Force, and a Mesa Boogie 2-90. Heavy as HELL. Then sold all that and bought a Line 6 Vetta. Finally, got the Fractal Audio.

Back