"Should I shield my Warmoth guitar?"

I haven't notice a difference between copper and aluminium shielding.  Anyone else not notice a difference?

copper is easier to solder, therefore making it easier to solder all of the seams

copper looks classier that aluminum

copper doesn't appear to corrode against the pot star washers, where aluminum appears to be more sensitive to bi-metallic annodization

as for shielding paint, I've seen a couple cases where the paint on an older instrument was getting flakey in the cavity. beyond the concern of the gradual loss of shielding due to this flaking, I am more concerned that these flakes will somehow find their way onto the contact plates of a control pot rendering it need of constant cleaning

all the best,

R

SkuttleFunk said:
copper is easier to solder, therefore making it easier to solder all of the seams

copper looks classier that aluminum

copper doesn't appear to corrode against the pot star washers, where aluminum appears to be more sensitive to bi-metallic annodization

as for shielding paint, I've seen a couple cases where the paint on an older instrument was getting flakey in the cavity. beyond the concern of the gradual loss of shielding due to this flaking, I am more concerned that these flakes will somehow find their way onto the contact plates of a control pot rendering it need of constant cleaning

My solution is to spray with clear laquer after the shielding is complete

all the best,

R

Is there a better shielding paint than the gray stuff Stew-Mac sells? That stuff seems to get completely dry really slowly, then it turns to powder that falls off. :tard:

They make wall paint that you can stick magnets to... that stuff is probably conductive.

stubhead said:
Is there a better shielding paint than the gray stuff Stew-Mac sells? That stuff seems to get completely dry really slowly, then it turns to powder that falls off. :tard:

Did u wait 24 hours between coats????

I haven't noticed a problem with annodization with aluminium.  It looks ok to me, too.  But my question actually had to do with the sound.  And I can say I haven't noticed a difference, but I was wondering if someone had something more scientific reasons than just the ears.

Back