Should I refinish this guitar?

spauldingrules

Okay, I have this:

g]
alderstratyk0.th.jpg
[/URL]

Should I refinish it?  I'm going to have single coils in the neck and middle, and will either do a HB or Rail in the bridge (I have a mint green or black pickguard) that will work.  The hardware will remain all black, and I am keeping the maple/kingwood neck.

It is 3 piece alder and getting quite dinged up from use - seems to be really soft, and a paint a clear coat might make it look better.  I have tru-oil under minwax satin poly on it now. Plus I want the versatility of a single coil in the neck. 

So, give me ideas for a finish (I was thinking solid black, with all black hardware)?  I already have sonic blue and fiesta red strats.  If I paint it, I will probably use Valspar spray cans which turned out really great on a saga kit I help a friend do.

So let's hear it - winner's idea gets a prize.

- TS

here's my refinished 3 piece alder body (old japanese fender)
notice one big uhm ding/???

ripper030.jpg

here's the "before" picture.. don't you love moving companies?
fender4.jpg

Have some fun with it, do a "Jackson Pollock" with a few colored stains. If you don't like it then paint it black.  :evil4:

He sees a clear finish and he wants to paint it blaa-aack.  :guitarplayer2:

I think it looks fine.  It would also look fine in black.  You're welcome for nothing.  :doh:

Willyk,

Can I stain over the satin poly?  I wouldn't mind an ebony stain of some type - black stains look sweet, IMHO.  Any suggestions as to home depot or lowe's stains that would work?  Those all in one polys?

spauldingrules said:
Willyk,

Can I stain over the satin poly?  I wouldn't mind an ebony stain of some type - black stains look sweet, IMHO.  Any suggestions as to home depot or lowe's stains that would work?  Those all in one polys?

You're probably asking the wrong guy mate. I live in Australia so home depot and lowes mean nothing to me. If I were staining a body I would be sanding off the old finish. You mention it's got a few dings anyway so you may as well get it to a clean slate. :dontknow:
+1 on black stains looking cool. I think they look much more interesting than just paint.  :icon_thumright:

Back