short shaft on rear rout tele HELP

nofenderetele

i have a rear routed tele and i want to use concentric pots...but they only come in short shaft.  when i put them in they kind threaded into the wood and are holding strong.  is this ok or will there be problems when i put the knobs on the threads are not comming above the wood as of now i only have one lower knob as they were out of stock. ahould i attempt to thin the wood and then reenforce it with pic-guard material from behind (any one done this???) 
i am experianced with wood working tools i am a wood shop counselor at a summer camp
i would prefer to use a dremel or hand drill but i have acces to a drill press if that is the only soultion ( no access till january and would like to finnish this on winter break as i have the time)

you guys have been extremely helpful and i hope once this is done ill have made enough mistakes to be able to contribute more than others benefiting from my mistakes  :icon_smile:

I wouldn't leave it like that, after one good bump the pot will come loose and rattle around.  You can just thin the wood out with a forstner bit... It will still be plenty strong, no need to reinforce it.

You could do it with a hand drill, but if you have access to a drill press use it.  What's the top wood you'll be drilling into? 

the top wood is flame maple on a swamp ash back
the problem with the drill press is that the school that its at is currently on winter break to it would have to wait till january i would like to do as much as possible over break cuz i only have the time now and also i am very excited to do this  :blob7:

Maple is ideal for doing this.  Just GO SLOW, you will be a very unhappy camper if you go through and have a 1" hole in your flame maple top! 

dbw said:
Maple is ideal for doing this.  Just GO SLOW, you will be a very unhappy camper if you go through and have a 1" hole in your flame maple top! 

Agreed--only go in maybe 1/8" depth increments--I goofed up BIG TIME when I installed Grovers on my Fender acoustic. My dad is in furniture repair and was able to repair the damage, but he wasn't happy about it.

thanks

this is one of the best guitar forums out there i posted a question on both this and another site
got a reply in less than an hour here.... still havent heard from the other guys

Whoa there cowboy, 1/8" is a lot... you don't want to go any deeper than 1/8".  A Tele top is only 1/4".  I'd feel leery about having a pot supported by less than an eighth of an inch of wood... a hard knock could crack it.

dbw said:
Whoa there cowboy, 1/8" is a lot... you don't want to go any deeper than 1/8".  A Tele top is only 1/4".  I'd feel leery about having a pot supported by less than an eighth of an inch of wood... a hard knock could crack it.

Yeah--you're right--with a newborn at home, my mind isn't as crisp as it normally is. The best thing to do is very slowly bring the press down and just shave a little off of it. If you think that you hardly took anything off, you're doing it right.

hey i just drilled down to the same thickness at the thinner part of the control cavity i have enough thread to attach a washer and nut and i felt confident enough to drill the hole for the les paul style switch pics will be up as soon as its done. 

Back