Sexy J - she my baby....

hendo

Here's my first J bass build 80% from Warmoth. I was aiming to make a bass that looks like a 6 string guitar but that still thumped along at a gig. Specs are figured maple on Alder body, Golcalo neck with Ebony fingerboard & SS frets. Schaller tuners, Gotoh bridge, awesome Nordstrand pickups and a custom set of pots. This baby pumps out a classic tone but is versatile enough to rock the house down. I'm loving it, BUT I changed the neck since these pics to a birdseye maple number with rosewood fingerboard. It now plays faster but I think the tone was better with the Goncalo! Hope you like my effort. Cheers.

Wow, very classy!

But you think a finished Maple neck plays faster than raw Goncalo? :icon_scratch:

Hey line6man. Yeah, actually the goncalo profile was a bit big for my hand. It is really chunky and although I certainly preferred the tone, I just could not play fast with it, and I'm slow enough already..... The new neck is really slick. It's amazing really, both visually and a pleasure to play. Actually the whole process has been a real delight and the real hero's are the blokes at Warmoth. Fantastic parts at a fantastic price. It's really rewarding to go to this extent for your own instrument. I've loved the process and will do it again, and again, and forever.

That is a Sexy J.

I have the same experience with my 2 Warmoth J-necks.  The Maple is faster.  Both are the same profile, but whatever reason, the Maple feels faster than the larger feeling unfinished exotic.

That's sure a looker!  Excellent first project - your next ones shall be awaited with great anticipation 
wolla.gif

Hi All. I'm awake now here in Australia! Meantime, you guy's are probably in the land of Zeeeez.... Thanks for the comments. All appreciated. Good call on the sanding rockskate4x, alas, the Goncalo is already on another j set up I did for a mate! He is a bigger handed bloke than me and is just loving thumping away on his new exotic neck. That one was a dinky body j it went on and looks awesome as well, although it's just a plain gloss black paint job. It's got a monster tone though playing through another set of Nordy NJ4se pickups, in a passive wiring harness. Neither of our instruments are active, giving the timber and excellent Warmoth craftmanship a true voice. Loving it my friends!

that's unreal. I normally don't like binding, but this is a proper exception! truly stunning bass, man.

hachikid said:
that's unreal. I normally don't like binding, but this is a proper exception! truly stunning bass, man.

Same here, I'm usually not a fan of binding, but for this instrument, it fits well! :icon_thumright:

Back