SET NECK

Can you glue a Warmoth neck and body together to create a set neck?

• yes

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • no

Votes: 16 88.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
NO!  There is more to a set neck design than glueing a bolt on neck to a bolt on body.

This is lame, the answer is no, but if you want to try it, bust a gut, pack a lunch, and have at it.

There is a company (I'm not sure which one) that used to make a model that is glued and bolted in. You get the stability of a bolt-on with the tone of a set neck. You might need to sand off some of the neck pocket, I'm not sure.

EDIT: Found it, it was an old solidbody Ovation Viper.

what would the point of a set neck.....i can no advantage to a set neck.....there is only a disadvantage and it being that it is harder to work on them

Don't do it bro. I've thought about it once or twice, but it's way too risky to try. My next ax is going to be a Warmoth Les Paul and I'm totally comfortable with having a bolt on neck on it, plus I'm gettin' a heel contour (always worth it). Best of luck on your next guitar.

sundin4prez said:
what would the point of a set neck.....i can no advantage to a set neck.....there is only a disadvantage and it being that it is harder to work on them

I've heard that they sound different because the set neck is a better join between the body and neck. Not sure how true this is, and anyway, Warmoth's neck-to-body fit is so accurate, it would probably be about the same as a set neck.

Listen...

A glued in neck has SIDE gluing, not bottom gluing.  If you glue the damned things together, you'll end up with a strip of wood coming out of the pocket, or off the bottom of the neck, or both, jagged.  Just dont do it.  Jeezeloufrikkinweeze. 

I've wondered if anyone has thought about doing some kind of combo joint.  Not glued in, but like bolt on but with a dovetail joint or a mortise and tenon.  You might get the advantages of the glue in, all the contact points or whatever, but the convenience of being able to replace it without too much trouble.  Just an idea I had. 

In concept, you could machine a warmoth neck and also do a custom neck pocket and make it work.  In concept.

The execution of that would be a real ticklish thing.  Certainly, I'd look to make the pocket first,  Appoximate the neck machining, and then take the neck wood down by hand slowly until it was a fairly tight fit, and glue it all together.

ive never seen the neck joint on a prs but their bolt on ce's are supposed to have the same joint, just bolted in instead of glued.

Brian

Don't think so, go to a store and compare a bolt neck to set neck PRS. You'll see that there is a tenon going into the body and the joint is located on the side, rather than the top of the body on a set neck. Not hard to discern, despite the finish.

agreed man, leo hit the nail on the head with the bolt on. Keep it simple dude, but otherwise, i guess u could just make the whole thing from scratch yourself, then you can do whatever you like with the neck.  :dontknow:

Back